Eight - Rules?

The truck engine rattled, and he made a U-turn back onto the road heading toward town, passing Gaetz Court once more

The truck engine rattled, and he made a U-turn back onto the road heading toward town, passing Gaetz Court once more. The rain now all cried out, had pulled back its intense downpour and was now coming down as a misty drizzle. I watched out the window in silence as the wiper blades moved slowly across the windshield back and forth. I was trying to piece together some plausible explanation for everything.

 I was trying to piece together some plausible explanation for everything

Kellan leaned back against the bench and draped his arm over my shoulder. He hugged me in hopes that I'd scoot over closer to him on the bench. To my disappointment, he had tossed on his damp shirt before we pulled back out onto the road. There were wet spots dotting his shirt, from him wiping the foggy window. They made the shirt stick to him where the wetness touched with his skin.

"The answer is yes," he said breaking the silence as we passed the town welcome sign.

"Yes? To what?" I didn't know what on earth he was referring to.

He signaled and turned the truck into the Stompin' Grounds Café, an old log cabin that had been converted into a coffee shop located across from the Motel. "You know, the question you asked me this morning."

Racking my brain, I tried to recall what the heck I might have asked him. "Okay, I give up, what did I ask?"

He parked the truck in a stall facing the coffee shop, then opened the door and jumped out landing on the rain-softened ground. He helped me out of the driver's side of the cab.

When I took his hand and stepped out onto the running board, he looked at me and said, "You know, the question about if we have met before," he paused like he wasn't sure what to say, "We've met."

Like a statue, I was frozen, not moving, but just standing there on the running board staring at him. He lowered my hand, then lifted me off the truck and deposited me on the ground as if I weighed nothing. Intertwining his fingers with mine, he gave a reassuring squeeze and led me toward the door.

A shiny new red Jeep was parked in front of the café two stalls down. Its tail lights were on and looked like it was just about to back out. Two girls were talking in the front seat, and the passenger was turned, so she wasn't facing me. For some reason, as Kellan led us up the front steps, I looked back at the Jeep one more time and could see her big loopy brown curls and perfect complexion.