XXI. Practice Makes Perfect

They were driven to a private hangar where a plane was already waiting for them. Due to the incident back in the port, local authorities were suddenly busy, making it easier for them to leave the place without complicated procedures.

Desiree wouldn't let go of the twins who seemed lost and confused. She had to tell them that Berkeley was coming until they boarded the private jet Richard rode to get where they were. The look Theo gave her when they finally settled and waited for the takeoff told her she better prepare the twins.

"It's going to be alright." She lied. She didn't really know what would happen to the two of them, but at least they'd be in the hands of people she knew. Reassuring herself, she thought of what the kids would go through if she had let them go with Berkeley. They'd be sold to people who would use them for the worse. But how sure was she that the CIA wouldn't do the same? She had heard stories of government agencies doing unspeakable things.

"They'll be fine," Theo whispered beside her. She didn't reply. She could hardly believe anything right now.

Richard came back with signed papers. He looked at Desiree, his eyes bare of any emotion including hatred, before saying, "We're good to go."

He went to the back of the plane and strapped himself down.

In a matter of minutes, they the plane was flying them back home. For some reason, Desiree pictured Theo's home by the cliff.

*****

"Just point and shoot," Marco said near Khaye's ear. His one hand was holding both of hers forward while he stood behind her. She was holding the gun with shaking hands. "You have to be very calm, Khaye."

"I'm trying to be calm, okay? Just shut up."

"You asked for this."

"Well, I'm trying!" The gun went off, making them both jump in surprise.

Marco quickly grabbed the gun away from her hands, locked it and stared at her. "We've been practicing for hours. You should be tired. Let's continue tomorrow."

Khaye squared her shoulders and met his gaze. "No. We don't have much time. I want to learn this fast."

He actually wanted to shake some sense into her. Though he liked this Khaye better, he wanted her safe. Being stubborn could only get her killed. "You cannot master this in just one afternoon. Don't be too impatient. We'll start again tomorrow morning."

She pursed her lips and whirled around to storm back to his car.

"Women," Marco grumbled as he followed her.

*****

"How did you manage the fire alarm?" Richard asked when they were finally on air. The twins had fallen asleep and so did Desiree.

"I told Desiree to deliver a note to that crewman you saw earlier. His name is Jed, by the way. She then gave the twins another mission game to deliver the note which gave him directions on what to do that day."

"That was a risky move. The twins could have been caught."

"They took their mission games seriously. It was better than Berkeley or the Chinese catching one of us approach Jed."

"And you trusted the bitch to give you the pills."

"We didn't know what pills Berkeley gave her so we swapped them with sleeping pills Jed took from one of the guests. I had to take it or we'd be found out."

Richard threw Desiree's sleeping form a disdainful look. "You shouldn't trust her like this, Theo. She'll be the death of you."

"You trusted Jamaica, didn't you?"