Outside The Lines {6}

“What?” I cried in shock.

                “Dinner. You know, you eat it after lunch,” dad said.

                “I know what dinner is!” I said angrily.

                Dimitri chuckled. “Let me just call my mom and make sure she’s okay with you. If you’re sure, that is.”

                “Of course I’m sure,” dad said, and mom nodded with a polite smile.

                Dimitri pulled out his cell phone and dialed a number, holding the phone to his ear. I could faintly hear it ringing, and then the sound of a feminine voice answering.

                “Mother, I’ve been invited to dinner at a friend’s house. Is it alright if I stay?” he asked. He paused as she spoke and nodded to himself. “Well, I’m sure father dearest is more than capable of getting Galen to soccer practice tonight.” His mom said something and Dimitri frowned. “Ah, yes, well, I wouldn’t be too pleased with Galen if he decided to play with my cat’s tail. My precious little Hugo wouldn’t be too pleased, either. So tell dad to keep an eye on both of them.” He nodded to himself. “Alright then, thank you mother. I’ll see you when I get home.”

                He hung up his phone and smirked over at me before glancing at dad. “My mother said that I can stay for dinner.”

                “Galen is your brother, right?” Thalia asked curiously.

                Dimitri sighed and nodded. “Yes, and while I do love that wonderful little child, he enjoys yanking on my cat’s tail when I’m not home. Needless to say, my cat despises the experience.”

                “How old is your brother?” Thalia asked.

                “Galen is seven,” Dimitri said.

                “I’m going to go start dinner. Thalia, feel free to go hang out in the basement with Dimitri. Theo, I give Thalia permission to cause you physical damage if you don’t leave them alone,” mom said.

                “Personally, I’m fine with little Theodore joining us,” Dimitri said, a smug look entering his eyes as he watched me. He dropped me a flirtatious wink. “So come and play with us, little Theodore.”

                OH COME DAD, YOU’RE STARING RIGHT AT THE GUY. DO NOT EVEN PRETEND THAT YOU DIDN’T JUST SEE THAT.

                I shot my dad a look that he ignored. He turned and moved into the kitchen with mom, leaving me standing in the middle of the living room gritting my teeth in frustration.

                “Just remember that this was your idea Theo,” Thalia said, grinning and pulling Dimitri through the living room.

                Not wanting them to be alone together, I hurried to follow after them. Thalia led Dimitri down to the basement and over to the pool table.

                “Ah, pool. It’s been a while since I’ve played,” Dimitri said, poking one of the balls.

                “Let’s play,” I said, moving to grab a pool stick.

                “No. It’s fine if you try to hustle Oliver, but not Dimitri,” Thalia said, shoving me away.

                “Talented at pool, little Theodore?” Dimitri asked.