Chapter 4: Schooling The Bad Boy

The next 4 weeks I avoided Elijah, staying out of hallways I knew he'd be in. Keeping near Sunny even though it meant having to kiss her ass and make up with her for not being as big of a slut as she, the queen bee of slut universal,was. I mean of course I didn't say it like that but I had apologized.

My days were on a schedule. I visited my mom, went to school, got a ride home with Sunny and avoided my father brother and Elijah. But this monday was different, I couldn't go see my mother before school because I woke up late and it was putting a bad feeling in my stomach.

"Ms. McGuire, would you like to join the class." My Ela teacher asked noticing I was staring out the window. It was 4th period. (Sorry if im messing up her class schedulr guys.) Elijah was in this class and so was Sunny.

"Ma'am?" I asked. I had written the poem she had asked, but of course teachers want you to listen to their pointless oppinions. As if you don't have your own!

"Read us a bit of your poem please." She smiled. She was only doing this to put me on the spot, she thought I was unprepared.

"That's unneccessary, Raine's just having alittle family troubles right now. She just needs alittle break." Sunny said defending me and I gave her a weak smile.

"What kind?" The teacher asked looking at me.

She wanted me to say it, say my mother had cancer and I didn't get to see her today. All the teachers knew it already but she wanted me to say it aloud. She wanted to make me hurt.

But I wanted to tell her she was a prick and a bitch and even though they call moles a beauty mark on pretty girls, she wasn't a pretty girl and her mole made her WAY uglier then she already was. That her teeth were crooked as if someone banged her in the mouth with a hammer. That her face made me sick.

I wanted to-

"The 'none of your goddamn buisness' kind." Elijah shouted breaking my thoughts and everyone in the class looked from me to him.

They were wondering what happened. Elijah didn't defend anyone, especially not a girl with a cross on her neck and a bible in her backpack. Elijah turned his head and gave me a small nod but I looked away. I couldn't face him after everything he knew about me , and I didn't need anyone thinking I liked him.

He got sent to the office and before the teacher could say another word, the bell rang for us to go to lunch. I grabbed my lunch tray and headed to a table in the back alone, I needed to think but Elijah grabbed me and took me out into the hall.

"Were you avoiding me?" Elijah frowned looking at me as he blocked both sides of me with his arms keeping my back pressed against the lockers.

"Me? No I was-" I began to lie but Elijah cut me off.

"Don't lie to me, the bible says in Proverbs 19:9 'A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will perish.'. You wouldn't wanna perish now would you?" Elijah frowned staring me down.

"Okay I was avoiding you. Im sorry. When did you learn bible verses? Your atheist." I frowned.

"Yeah sure your sorry, I hope your not lying again. And I wasn't born atheist ya know, my name IS Elijah!" He sighed moving his arms and stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"Then why are you atheist?" I asked.

"I just am okay? I don't believe in that crap and besides... That not what I wanted to talk to you about." He frowned staring me down.

"Well I refuse to talk to you about... the thing." I frowned breaking eye contact and beginning to head back towards the cafeteria.

"Then why'd you tell me in the first place?" Elijah whisper yelled pulling me back by my arm.

I looked at Elijah in disbelief and jerked my arm away. For a moment I wondered why boys were so dumb, so...

clueless.

But then I began to wonder why had I told Elijah. He had never told me anything really personal, he hadn't shared his life with me so why would I share mine with him.

"I don't know, it's not as if I thought you had a heart or anything. It's not like you care about me or anything else, because you don't care about anything. Frankly, I don't think you ever will!" I stated before rushing to the girls bathroom.

I patted my face with water and looked at myself. My color wasn't fading, I was still there even though I felt invisible.

No matter how hard you try to swim and stay afloat something will drag you down. You'll forget who you are sometimes if you let people into your life that will do nothing but destroy you.

"Raine! I was looking for you ev-ery-where!" Sunny smiled coming into the bathroom. i put on my best fake smile and looked at her as if nothing were wrong.

She couldn't see how broken I was on the inside if the outside wasn't.

"Hey Sunny, sorry I was just a little out of it still." I smiled before turning my attention to the sink and washing my hands.

"Well I know what'll make you feel better!" Sunny smiled big. She had a plan, one I knew would only make me feel worse because Sunny's plans always ended in disaster.

"Im sleeping over at your house tonight." She smiled.

And that was it, I couldn't say 'no' because it would turn into me being a bad friend. And there was no point in trying to argue her out of it by saying my dad doesn't want company, she'd just call him and ask if it was alright.

My father had a weakness for Sunny, he'd always wanted me to be like her. 

A cheerleder, a striaght A student, perfect attendance, never sad, and of course... A blonde.

He didn't know her like I did. He didn't know the real Sunny was a slut, a cheater on every test and homework or class assignment, has sex in the bathrooms between classes, a messy coniving sneak, and of course.... my 'bestfriend'.

I went through the next few classes trying hard to get every note, assignment, and questions down to perfection. I was happy when the bell; rang but at the same time, I was alittle upset. I didn't wanna go home and I really didn't want Sunny to come to my house.

The car ride there with Sunny was spent with her singing songs on the radio as I joined in every here and there. Once we got to my house we did the thing we always did. Popped some pocorn and tossed it into a big bowl, grabbed some sodas, grabbed a giant bag of potatoe chips, grabbed some m & m's, and then headed up to my room. Door. Locked.

"So what was up with you today, is your mom alright?" Sunny asked laying on her stomach and chopping down on a potato chip.

Sunny hadn't always been the way she is, she used to be so much like me you'd think we were the same person if it wasn't for the physical differences.

"No, I just didn't go see her today and it sort of... Blew me off schedule. you know how i am!" I laughed eating 4 m&m's in one bite.

"Yeah, but what about the Elijah thing. Why'd he help you out?" Sunny questioned going over to my stereo system.

"I don't know... I guess we're... friends maybe." I pondered.

"Well he's cute. If you like the whole attitude with a side weed head type of thing." Sunny shurgged.

"I guess." I shrug.

"You guess? So what, you don't like him?" Sunny asked with alittle too much excitement in her voice.

"No, not like... that." I said shaking my head.

"Good, because I do." Sunny smiled giving me a look that told me she wated me to hlp her get him.