Chapter 30

Tom awoke. He was next to Elizabeth.

She had never woken up.

It had been a week since she'd fallen - or been pushed - from the Astronomy Tower. Tom had made no progress in discovering the culprit because he'd been sleeping or studying by her side.

"Mr Riddle," the matron said, approaching them, "Please, go get a night's rest. Miss Marin is in good hands."

Tom finally decided to get up. He walked away and went back to his dorm where he fell asleep again, his eyelids shutting and the sleep welcoming him as soon as his head hit the pillow.

He didn't want to make Horcruxes anymore, not after he'd seen what the process of it all had done to Elizabeth. In his dream about her agreeing to join him and make a Horcrux, it was almost as if she wasn't Elizabeth anymore. That was the last thing Tom wanted.

Elizabeth continued to lay motionless on the hospital bed, the white sheets becoming crinkled where her body didn't move. The matron sighed, watching her as she slept.

She should have woken up by then. She'd only fallen. The matron figured she'd been exhausted, and although she didn't encourage violence and the intensity of Tom's every action, she hoped that he'd find a way to figure out who the culprit was so they could be punished rightfully.

Elizabeth's fingers twitched a fraction but no one was there to witness it. She was slowly coming back to her senses, but she didn't want to. Her head throbbed and every inch of her body ached.

Oh, the side effects of being pushed off an extremely high tower.

She was conscious but she soon fell back into a peaceful slumber. Waking up when Tom wasn't around was pointless, her throat was dry and croaky. There was no way she'd be able to call out to the matron who was busy writing notes and planning what she'd do next about every student.

Falling back to sleep, Elizabeth feared what nightmares she'd see.

She'd seen the exact same unpleasant dream; the one she wished she hadn't seen. Elizabeth became evil and didn't know herself anymore. Both Tom and Elizabeth knew that they'd do anything to stop that corrupted future from taking place.