Chapter Twenty-Seven

Scar climbed down Pride Rock with Zira following silently behind him. They turned in the direction of the water hole, but before Scar could start walking again, he felt a nudge from behind.
He turned, and suddenly he was pinned against a nearby rock. Zira was smiling slyly at him with her eyes narrowed.
"Kito and the others can wait. I want you all to myself right now."
Scar grinned a crooked grin, his eyes gleaming.
"I'm listening."
Her smile widened and she let go of him.
"Do you remember the game we used to play as cubs?"
His tail flicked back and forth and he let out a low growl.
"Yes."
She slowly started to circle him and he crouched low to the ground, mimicking her movements.
"Well, why don't we re-live a few good memories, hm?"
Suddenly she lunged at him and he batted her aside with just enough force so that it wouldn't hurt her. She growled with a sly ferocity and nipped at his side. His grin widened and he pounced on her. She rolled underneath him, a toothy grin on her face. He bent his head down and nipped her ear, and she released a low, satisfied growl. Then she put her paws around his mane and neck. She rolled to the side and Scar was suddenly underneath her.
He laughed and caressed her face with his paw, his claws gently running through her fur.
"Well, this is fun," he said.
"I knew it would be," she whispered, bending down so that her breath tickled his face.
He chuckled to himself and pushed her off. She looked at him gloomily, a frown appearing on her face.
"Do we have to leave now?" she growled, "I thought we would have more time together."
Scar stood up and leaned in towards her.
"We have plenty of time still."
"Good."
She swatted at him with one of her paws and he ducked out of the way. He lunged towards her, but she just dodged him and laughed. He tried again, and this time she started to run so that he had to chase her. They ran away from Pride Rock and through the long grass, their laughter loud and joyous.
Suddenly Scar was on top of Zira. They tumbled together in the dirt until they came to a stop, with Scar lying on top of Zira. Their laughter gradually subsided and Zira lifted her head to lick his cheek.
He grinned a devilish, toothy grin, his eyes bright.
"You're all mine," he whispered.
She smirked and pulled him closer, her claws sinking into his mane.
"That's all I've ever wanted," she growled.
Then they both heard paw steps on the hard dirt. Scar stood up, and Zira stayed where she was on the ground, impatience clear on her face.

Asilia appeared in the grass with an angry frown.
"There you two are! I've been looking all over for you!"
Zira's upper lip twitched and she got to her paws.
"We were on our way to the water hole," she said flatly.
"Well, good. Kito's been bugging us constantly about where you were. I finally had to leave to see if you were coming or not. Shani stayed back at the water hole to try to keep him entertained in the meantime."
She raised an eyebrow at them as she realized why they might have been running late.
"I didn't interrupt anything, did I?"
Scar shook his head.
"As much as I would like to inform you that it's none of your business, I should probably say that, no, you did not interrupt anything," he explained.
Zira growled and Asilia shook it off.
"Well, we should probably get back to the water hole. Kito's waiting for us," Asilia said.
She walked off and Scar followed behind her, Zira padding moodily beside him.

They continued for a little ways before they could see the water hole before them. Many animals were strangely absent, but it was most likely because a whole pride of lionesses made it their new lounging spot.
As soon as Zira and Scar were within everyone's sight, everything went quiet. The King and Queen could feel everyone's eyes on them, and not in a good way.
Asilia led them to Shani, who was waiting patiently with Kito rolling at her feet. Once he saw them he jumped up and ran over to them.
"Mother! Father!" he cried.
Scar sat down and put a paw out to welcome his son. Kito ran into the half-hearted hug, a smile bright on his face.
Zira grinned at the sight, but then she felt a venomous glare burning into the back of her head.
She turned to see Sarabi and the Pridelander lionesses glaring at them from afar. At first she wanted to bare her teeth, but then she just smiled crookedly and flicked her tail. She saw rage flicker in Sarabi's eyes and she chuckled quietly to herself.
Suddenly she felt paws on her leg and she turned back to see Kito looking up at her.
"Hi, mother," he said, "Do you wanna play fight?"
He looked expectantly up at her, and she could feel Scar urging her on with his stare.
"Sure... but only if your father joins us."
She glanced over at Scar and he rolled his eyes sarcastically. She hit him on the shoulder with her paw and he grunted.
"Yes, I'll join."
Pure excitement overtook Kito and he bounded over to Shani. He jumped from side to side, making Shani smile and laugh.
"You will have so much fun!" she laughed.
She put a paw on his head and tousled his mane. Then he ducked out from under her paw and ran back over to his parents.
He growled playfully and lunged at Zira. She growled back and batted him to the side before he could even reach her. He shook it off and bared his teeth, ready to lunge again.
Suddenly Zira was shoved to the ground. She gasped at the impact. She snarled and looked up, only to see Scar smirking down at her.
She bared her teeth and pushed him off, only to feel little paws take his place. Kito smiled down at her. Scar chuckled to himself.
"Good job distracting her, Kito. You'll grow up to be a cunning lion one day, just like me."
Scar heard a few huffing noises and he glared over at the Pridelanders. Sarabi was looking at the sky with a dignified look, and Scar immediately wanted to wipe it off of her face.
Kito beamed.
"Thank you, Father. I can't wait to be just like you one day!"
Scar grinned crookedly as he saw concern and dread appear on Sarabi's face. He turned triumphantly back to his family, putting his back to her. Zira got back to her paws, and she gave him a quick smile.
"I'm sure you'll be just like your father, Kito. You'll be a great, handsome lion, one that we will be proud to have as King."
Zira saw Shani and Asilia look at their paws out of the corner of her eye, and her tail twitched in rage at their doubt. She decided to let it go for the moment.
"Let's fight another round. The first one was just a warm-up," Zira growled.
"Okay!" Kito cried ecstatically.
Soon they were wrestling in the dirt again. This time, Zira came out on top. She smirked down at Scar and Kito with a victorious look on her face.
"Let's go again."