Ch. 10: Hello Cold World

~You say you're really hurting, at least you're feeling something. We can hope and we can pray that everything will work out fine~

Kiyomi's POV

My three teammates and I leapt through the trees, chasing after a small, fleeting black shadow ahead of us. We all had earpieces in, and were communicating as we chased our prey.

"Sasuke, I'm at Point B."

"Sakura, I'm at Point C."

"Kiyomi, I'm in a tree."

"... Naruto, Point A!"

"Good. Naruto, you're a little late," Kakashi's voice in the speakers said. "And Kiyomi, please be serious."

I huffed. "I am seri- The target has moved!" I suddenly exclaimed, seeing the black shadow jump without warning further into the forest. I knew being in a tree would come in handy.

"After it!"

And we were off again, chasing that stupid cat that kept running away. Apparently, this cat was notorious for running away from it's owner, and it's like a Genin initiation rite to take the mission to capture it. At least, that's what my brother said.

"It's five meters away," someone, I'm not sure who, said.

"We're ready," Sakura said determinedly.

"Okay, now!" Kakashi yelled. We all sprinted forward, converging on the cat at the same time.

But Naruto was the one who got his hands on the cat. "I got him!" the blond yelled, holding the poor cat tightly. The cat apparently didn't like this, and started to scratch Naruto all over.

"Sasuke, get the cat," I muttered to my teammate.

The Uchiha sighed, and walked over to take the cat from Naruto. The cat settled down, and curled up in Sasuke's arms. Sakura started to swoon over him and his 'animal skills', but Sasuke managed to ignore her, instead heading for Kakashi.

'Good thing you didn't catch the cat,' Fenrir commented.

'Why?'

'Why do you think?' he replied snarkily. 'I'm a wolf. Cats don't like me. If you were with Bren, that would be another story. But you're stuck with me.'

I frowned, starting to drift away from reality and into the place where Fen and I talked. 'Who's Bren?' I asked curiously. I'd never heard Fenrir mention someone named Bren before.

'Bren's one of the other Elemental Beasts. The Fire Tiger, actually. He's got a temper like the fire he controls, and he really doesn't like me,' Fenrir replied.

'Huh.' But before we could keep talking, Kakashi smacked me on the back of my head. "Ow!" I exclaimed, rubbing the sore spot. "What was that for?"

"Spacing out," he replied smartly. "I'm going to do it every time, and hope you learn."

"Fat chance..." I muttered. Kakashi only laughed, and we started to walk back to the Hokage building.

======

We had just returned the cat to it's owner, and boy was I glad I wasn't that cat. The poor thing looked like it was about to die. It's owner was squeezing the cat so hard I wasn't sure it was actually breathing anymore.

'Serves it right,' Fenrir snorted. 'Cats are evil. Evil, I tell you!'

'And you're dramatic,' I replied.