20. The 'Alpha'bet

Dedicated to DielnHell. Thank you for the lovely messages and for suggesting the song. I loved it :D And yes, I totally see the connection ;)

And a huge shoutout to kdshah. Thanks very much for the constant support, I really appreciate it :D

This chapter is unedited so please excuse the grammatical errors.

_______

Suzzanah's POV

No way! There was NO way I was missing this chance. A smile on Alpha Zuerien's face?! I had to see it!

Not caring that I was blushing bright red, courtesy of what he had just said, or that the floor was newly polished and I was wearing heels, I ran to the other side of his desk and skidded to a sloppy stop in front of him much like an amateur figure skater and without any warning, stuck my face in his personal space.

But despite my efforts, much to my dismay, my scrutinizing eyes didn't find what they were looking for but were instead met with a pair of confident brown eyes that blinked nonchalantly at my outlandish behavior. My shoulders slumped in disappointment.

Dang! I had missed it!

"I see you've finally given up on the idea of standing on the other side of the border"

Alpha Zuerien's rich deep voice jerked me out of my disappointed reverie and I blinked at him.

"But I'm curious, why the rush?" he asked stepping closer to me making my eyes widen and my blush intensify, "Is my face that interesting to you?"

Indeed it is, very much!

His face was impassive but there was definitely amusement in his voice. I couldn't explain it, but there was something very refreshing about seeing him like this. It was the first time I had seen him so relaxed.

The air around him had changed somehow. His aura no longer seemed to hold the constant tension it had radiated all the other times I had run into him. His face wasn't taut, his body wasn't tense and his eyes weren't tired. In fact his demeanor now was similar to how Mr. Penson's had been this morning- unburdened, peaceful and carefree.

And for some strange reason seeing him like this...made me very happy.

Wait...he wasn't talking...was he waiting for me to reply? Had he asked me a question??

I couldn't remember what it had been. Not knowing what to do I laughed nervously and repeated the two words I had uttered continually since I had stepped into his office, "Yes sir"

His eyebrows rose slowly and his lips quirked upwards ever so slightly that if he hadn't been standing so close, I would have not even have noticed it.

"Really?" he spoke lazily making shivers run down my spine.

Really...really what?

"Yes...sir?" I replied tentatively.

Much to my shock he bent closer to me, his hand rising up to my face which was now burning under his intense gaze. His index finger trailed up one side of my face, without actually touching my skin, making my breathing hitch. It stopped at the center of my forehead and his eyes fell to my lips.

My eyes widened and a strangled breath escaped my lips as his face dipped closer to mine. My body was on fire and my heart was going crazy. That perfect sense of belonging suddenly returned with a vengeance making me want to lean towards him, an urge that I resisted very strongly.