Dance With The Devil

METROPOLIS - August 29th

7:30PM 

Zatanna arrived at the restaurant- much to her chagrin- dressed like a celebrity. She wore a long black dress with a small split down the side and large necklace, which wrapped around her neck like a river of silver.

And she was treated like a celebrity too. The moment she set a pin-heeled foot into the red, velvet foyer, she was shown to her table by the attendant, who even addressed her by name and lead her across the dance floor, which shone with gold and bronze light beneath the massive chandelier above it.

She was ushered into a small booth on the second floor before the attendant bowed respectfully and went back to the foyer.

She smiled at him with warm kindness the whole time, but her smile changed into an aggravated frown as soon as he disappeared down the stairwell.

She knew that Desmond was coming to meet her soon, that she was alone and would be practically defenceless. It made her blood run cold when she realised that Desmond could kill her right in front of everyone without any resistance.

He could destroy the entire restaurant and no-one would be able to stop him.

She shoved her thoughts aside when she realised that there was a waiter standing next to her.

"Will mademoiselle care for an entrée?" he asked. "I recommend the herb bread personally..."

Her heart froze when she turned to face the person before her. That wasn't a butler!!

She spun around quickly and saw Desmond towering over her, his slim features decorated with a dark grey suit, minus the jacket, gleaming black shoes and a sadistic smirk to top it all off.

She grabbed him by his arm and pulled him into the booth, anger flaring along her delicate features.

"You!" she snarled.

Desmond rolled his eyes.

"You were expecting Dick, maybe?"

She clenched her teeth and growled angrily at him.

"I should kill you right now for what you have done to us, Desmond. You've done horrible things to all of us!!"

Desmond scoffed.

"Zatanna my dear..." he chuckled. "You wear that necklace with that dress and say I've done a horrible thing?"

She clenched her fists, desperately resisting the desire to leap over the table and punch him straight in the face.

But Desmond wiggled a finger before her, as if he could read her mind. "Sorry Zatanna, I don't like rough stuff on the first date..."

She glared at him before she finally reminded herself of what she was actually here for.

"What do you want?" she demanded. "Why did you call me here?!"

In response to her question, Desmond's face became aloof with boredom. He looked away from her, as if she wasn't worth his time and tapped his fingers rhythmically along the table. After a few seconds, he got up and extended a hand to her.

"Care to dance?"

She looked at him with disbelief, her eyes wide in a mix of disgust and shock.

"You can't be serious..."

With a look of irritation, his hand snapped out and pulled her up, dragging her to the dance floor.

Without another word and a quick shift in expressions, they both formed a dancing stance just in time for the next waltz.

"A nice restaurant..." she said finally.

"Quite an expensive one too..." Desmond replied.

Zatanna scoffed.

"Then why choose this place?"

Desmond shrugged.

"It's a higher class place, so I knew you wouldn't want to make a scene and I also know a few of the staff..."

He smiled at her.

"My ward was a sous chef here before he was employed in Wayne Enterprises, so I get some good deals here and there."

Zatanna almost laughed, but quickly regained her stoic composure.

"By the way..." Desmond began. "Did you end up figuring out my clue yet?"

She didn't respond, but looked him in his eyes, which were shining from the chandelier's glow.

"As soon as I heard the name of this place." she answered. "Restaurant D'If? Edmond Dantes was imprisoned in Chateau D'If before Abba Faria helped him escape..."

Desmond smiled at her proudly.

"You were talking in metaphors, weren't you?" she asked.

Desmond inclined his head, almost like a nod.

"Correct." he said. "And what, pray tell is my metaphor?"

Zatanna's gaze hardened.

"Like Dantes, the remaining League members and the Team are trapped, no way to get out and you're Abba Faria, offering us a way out..."

She scowled.

"Like you did my father."

Desmond's smile grew even wider. Not in pride or happiness, but a twisted amusement.

"So what is the way out?" Zatanna asked.

Desmond sighed as he spun past another dancing couple.

"The way out is simple."

Zatanna's heart began to sink, but also quicken as Desmond's pale features became bathed in the lights above them.

"Walk away."

Her eyes went wide. Is that all it was?

"Just stay out of my way. That's all."

She dug her nails into his hand.

"Is that your deal or Savage's?"

Desmond shrugged again.

"The Mimic Contingency technically says that for it to be complete, the League needs to be either broken or neutralised, it doesn't explicitly say you all need to be dead."

He spun her around and leaned close to her ear.

"Believe it or not, I don't actually want to hurt you, Zatanna...You or the Team..."

His words sounded sweet and alluring, as if she had the Devil himself whispering into her ear.

"But if you stand in my way, between me or my goal, you will force me to do something I don't want to do to ANY of you..."

The words became cold, but still tempting. She felt as though sitting back and letting the League die was an easy choice.

He twirled her away from him and looked at her with cold eyes.

"So?" he asked. "What will it be?"

Desmond's offer has finally been revealed!
Will Zatanna take him up on his offer?!
Can she sit back and let the Justice League's remaining members die?!
 What will the Team say?!
Can Zatanna turn her back on everyone?!
Or is there more to this deal than meets the eye..?

Find out in the next chapter! :D Be sure to vote if you enjoyed the chapter and comment your thoughts so far! :D Do YOU think Zatanna will accept the deal?

- Kai-Shiro :D