Chapter 29 - Hubby Wifey tussle

(Present starts in continuation after chapter 7)

Manik quickly changed into a white shirt and blue denims as we were to leave for the temple. As he came he looked at me for approval and I rolled my eyes in indifference.

"You are not going to sit with me for the Puja so it doesn't make a difference what you wear..we don't have to be colour coordinated", I made sure I was rude enough but he still smiled.

I got in the car and sat passively resting my back on the seat. The day had just started and I was already feeling tired. The fast was already having its affect on me. Manik fastened the seat belt around me and looked at me as I licked my lips in thirst and exhaustion.

"Listen Nandini please I insist have something, you look so tired."

"No I am okay, Manik we are already late please let's just go."

"Why are you being so stubborn?? You have to take care of yourself and our baby" , he paused for a bit for me to respond and then finally gave up, "Fine okay we will go..but you relax.. you sleep and I will take you there..it will take us some half an hour to reach at least relax till that time."

I was not sure if there was something else going on in his mind and knowing Mr. Malhotra, he was quite capable of doing that but I also knew I needed rest, "But you don't know the way to the temple..", I set forth my concerns.

"You don't worry about that, Varsha has messaged me the route you just go to sleep", he pushed back my seat further so that I had a comfortable posture and I closed my eyes.

I didn't realize when the distance was covered. I had a good nap in fact a pretty strong one. When Manik woke me up I was not ready to get out of the drool at first.

"Listen keep safe distance from me and don't create any ruckus in front of everyone", I warned Manik as soon as I gained my senses and got down from the car and started walking towards the stairs.

"Okay!!", he said the word sandwiching with giggles.

He didn't follow me in fact was staring at me smilingly as I took the stairs. I looked back at him and he flashed his teeth. I understood that there was something fishy but I didn't have the time to stop and ponder over it so hurried myself. Just as I reached the aisle I found Varsha pacing nervously. The moment she spotted me she came running to me.

"I am sorry... I am sorry... I know I am late.. please I got stuck because of that idiot", I apologized before she could start firing me.

"Come on fast!!! you can't imagine how I have managed Aunty all this while", she grabbed my palm and pulled me towards the temple.

But suddenly she stopped after two steps and looked at something carefully. I saw her face and it changed expression in blinks first a little surprise then a smile and after that she burst into laughter. I was puzzled and shifted my focus to her source of attention.

"Are you here to get engaged ya engagement karke aayi hai", Varsha was laughing like crazy as she held up my hand in front of me to show me the finger which had a ring. Confusion stuck on my face as I wondered where the ring came from.

"Happy engagement wifey!!!", I heard him whisper softly into my ears from the back.

For a moment I couldn't understand what had happened and then realized the catch. I should have known Manik's hidden agenda; this had to be the reason why he insisted me on sleeping. Manik and Varsha shared a hi five and I stood like a fool. It was hell frustrating to see the love turned hate of your life and your bestie gang up against you. I silently abused them while trying to get the damn thing out of my finger. And that idiot made sure that he got the most difficult ring on earth for me so that I could not get rid of it. Oh Shit!! What if someone spots the ring? How am I going to save myself? Although I needed an excuse to avoid the engagement with Dhruv this was definitely not the excuse that I was looking for. I wanted to kill Manik only if I was allowed by the circumstances. Varsha finished her hysterical laughing session with Manik and tugged me to come. I gave up trying and proceeded further. Manik by all sense of it was trying to cling to me and I made my attempts of being in safe distance from him. I saw Mom waiting for me. She was annoyed and relieved at the same time to finally see me. I had wasted enough time and she didn't want to waste further in scolding me. I took my place for the puja beside Dhruv. He smiled as he saw me. He seemed relaxed about the whole thing being sure that all of it is staged. Dhruv brought his face closer to my ears and whispered.