⎡6⎦

❖ ❖ ❖

❖ ❖ ❖

When I awoke on September 8th, it almost felt like there was a different energy in the air. September 8th was my birthday—my 12th one, to be exact. 

 I made my way down to breakfast, anticipating a great day. As I entered the Great Hall, I immediately felt arms wrap around my legs, and I was picked up by two ginger twins who carried me to the Gryffindor table. I yelped and started laughing. When I was placed back down, and I was sitting in front of a small present.

"Happy Birthday!" the twins exclaimed simultaneously. I reached for the box, but I heard James shout behind me.

"Oi! Weasley's! I think I deserve to wish my sister a happy birthday before you do!"

"Well, that's the thing mate-" George started.

"We were already first!" Fred finished. 

I laughed and turned back to the present. Without hesitation, I opened the box, and confetti came flying out at my face. I screamed and opened my eyes. I heard howls of laughter all around me. I picked up a nearby spoon and looked at my reflection through it. My face was covered in confetti.

I sighed and looked into the box. Inside was a pair of dangling earrings. I picked them up and looked at each one. They had small coin-like spheres, each engraved with the name Fred and George. I looked at the earrings with a laugh. Of course, the twins got me something with their names on them. I smiled and got up to hug the twins.

"Thanks, boys. I love them" I gave each of them a peck on the cheek before taking my hand and wiping the confetti off my face then putting it onto them. 

I took out my current earrings and replaced them with my new ones. Walking over to the Slytherin table, I slid next to Draco. I began talking to him again after the incident with Harry, only after he apologized to me. I told him to also give one to Harry, but he refused. I didn't bother pressing the matter any farther. The two probably would never get along. 

"Happy Birthday, Hazel!" he exclaimed, holding out a medium box.

"Thank you, Draco." 

I took the box out of his hands and was about to open it when the post came. I saw the family owl, Themis, soaring over my head. She dropped a parcel in front of me and landed on my shoulder, sticking her leg out for me to take the letter from. I pulled off the string. It was a letter from my father. I fed Themis some toast and ripped open the letter. It read:

Dearest Hazel,

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful birthday today. I'm so glad you made it into Slytherin with your brother. I hope you like your present. I'm sure you can let your creativity run wild. I love you so much.