• | Chapter Five | •

| Next Day. . .

Riley's head shot up from her folded arms when the bell rang for class dismissal. Usually, she was alert in class but today she felt overwhelmingly tired. Trent always worked his guard hard, but he became more demanding than considered normal since the encounter with Mr. Jackson, though his harsh critiques were aimed directly right at Riley.

Her body ached in places she didn't think were possible and her hands were still tender from all the tosses she had to catch back-to-back. Right after practice that ended around eight, she had to work on her assignments from classes and finish Mr. Jackson's packet. She didn't know where she found half of the energy to roll out of bed this morning.

She sighed as she glanced down at her half-written notes from the lecture and gradually put away her things in her bag.

'Guess I'm going to have to ask Michelle for her notes later.' She thought as she got up from the desk and made her way out of the classroom. Michelle was a good friend that Riley made acquaintance with since they had at least one class together since Freshman year. She didn't see her much this semester for some reason except for class.

The vibrant atmosphere from the bustling students didn't match Riley's mood as she slowly maneuvered through the crowd. She hoped that practice would be canceled today just so she could go home and take a much-needed nap.

She nearly stumbled when Jay appeared out of nowhere and embraced her best friend in a bear hug, but suddenly frowned when she realized Riley wasn't in such a good mood.

"What's wrong with you?" She asked while stepping back, then walked alongside her.

"Tired, and my body hurts." Riley yawned before giving Jay an immediate side-eye. "Shut up."

"What? I didn't even say anything!" She protested with a crooked smile.

"You didn't have to. Nasty."

Jay giggled as they turned the corner to class. "You didn't even know what I was going to say!"

"I don't want to know either." Riley replied, watching the hallways thin out as the warning bell rang.

"All I was going to say was that Trent probably worked you too hard-" She stopped short when Riley continued to side-eye her. "What?"

"Nothing sexual from you today? Shocker."

A mischievous smile appeared. "And Mr. Jackson finished the job by having you bent over that desk and that's why you're walking like you've got something stuck up your ass."

Riley playfully shoved Jay away from her and she laughed in response. "I spoke way too soon."

"Too soon." She agreed, still laughing.

Both girls entered the near-empty classroom, and Riley placed her packet in the wired basket before taking her seat next to Jay. Riley buries her head in her arms as Jay watched as more students filed into the room and drop their packets off at the desk. By the time the bell rang , the classroom was filled and Mr. Jackson walked in.

"Good afternoon." He cheerily greeted, and the class responded the same except for Riley. He took notice but didn't say anything.

"So, I've decided to start where Ms. Babcock left off." He took the packets from the basket and placed them inside a folder he labeled 'to be graded'. He figured it would be an easy A since all they had to do was fill it out and it would count as 10% of their final grade. "Which is the chapter of the Human Reproduction System. I'm aware that she previously made you write tons of unnecessary notes."