CHAPTER SIXTY- SEVEN

The morning of the Second Task, Eleanor found herself rather unwilling to get out of bed, mainly because she had hardly gotten a good night's rest. The night before, she joined Cedric and Marnie in the prefect's bathroom, once again, making sure that Cedric was fully prepared for the task ahead. It had been a good night, if she was being completely honest, it was like old times before any of them had really started dating anyone. They joked around with one another, splashed bathwater profusely under the disapproving glare of the mermaid art in the window, and eventually, it led to the three of them just sitting around and talking.

They still couldn't come up with what was going to be taken from the Champions and when Eleanor had approached Harry earlier in the day to see what he thought of it, he quickly confessed that he didn't even know how he was going to manage to be able to breathe underwater for the hour. She scolded him for not coming to her sooner because she would have gladly assisted him, but Harry promised that he was going to figure something out with Ron and Hermione.

And while she encouraged Cedric to go to sleep early so that he wasn't tired for the task, Eleanor had been the first to go to bed, while he and Marnie stayed up in the Common Room. If Eleanor hadn't suspected anything before, she was certainly suspicious of her best friends and how close they were becoming with one another. Since the summer, Marnie's rather harsh and blunt demeanour had softened quite a bit, only hardening when needed. But she was becoming more of a listening ear than before, especially towards Cedric when she was so quick to dismiss him before.

While Cedric, who often turned to Eleanor for advice was making sure that he included Marnie's opinion on everything. It seemed to be coming together perfectly, but Eleanor couldn't help but be reminded that Cho and Lee still existed and if she noticed the growing tension between her best friends, it wouldn't take long before others noticed too.

Eventually, Marnie returned to the girls' dorm that evening as Eleanor was dozing off, she wore a warm grin as she walked over and sat on the edge of Eleanor's bed.

"I think he almost kissed me."

"WHAT?!"

Eleanor nearly rolled out of her bed and onto the floor, quickly sitting upright to make sure she had heard Marnie properly.

Marnie's smile faded slightly as she turned her head in the dimly lit room. "We were sitting there, just talking, you know, and suddenly, we stopped. It was like we had run out of things to say and then I was looking up at him and he was looking at me. I swear he started leaning in, but then fucking Ernie comes charging in talking about the task tomorrow and well...he went off to his dorm...I must be going mad."

"I don't think you're going mad, Marnie," Eleanor said, "I've told you before that anyone would be lucky to have you. But..."

Her voice trailed off until Marnie prompted her to speak once more. "But what?"