Chapter 19

I'm reaching out and I just can't tell you why
I'm caught up in you, I'm caught up in you
Untouchable burning brighter than the sun
And when you're close I feel like coming undone

*********

I released my hair from its updo, allowing it to cascade down over my shoulders in waves as we walked out into the night, Carson following behind me.

"You're so beautiful, Lucy." His spoke under his breath but I could still hear him. I turned back to look at him, my hair blowing in the wind. He smiled at me and I could have sworn there were fireworks.

"Where are we going?" I asked, although I already knew.

The smile never left his lips as he confirmed me. "I think you already know."

We ended up at the old hotel, you could tell construction and renovation had begun but it was still as creepy as before. We took the elevator, that was in a much better condition, to the very top of the building. I followed Carson out onto roof that looked exactly how I had last remembered it.

"Best view in New York." Carson repeated the same words he had first said to me on that roof months before. We sat down on the love seat that overlooked the city, watching as the sun had almost completely set.

"Second time I've ditched a party to follow you here." I joked.

"You could never resist." He shot back, leaning back into the the seat, an arm resting behind his head. I stayed silent, just a small smile on my lips as we watched the cities lights turn on.

"My dad died." I began. He looked over at me, raising an eyebrow. I sighed before continuing. "That's why I came here."

"What happened?"

"Cancer. I dropped everything after he passed and decided to move in with my mother." I began to unravel my story to Carson. I spoke and he sat there and listened patiently, asking a question about my past every now and then. We spoke until midnight, and when I was finished telling my story we just sat there staring it into the cityscape. Carson got up momentarily and returned with a blanket, draping it over the two of us.

"I can't help it if there's no one else." He said breathlessly.

"What?" I shot a glance towards him.

He chuckled at himself, wickedly. "I tried to get you off of my mind but it didn't work. Other girls... They just weren't you."

"I don't know what to say." I tucked a strand of hair behind me ear, nervously. He reached out and grabbed my hand, holding it in his lazy grasp.

He played with my fingers in his. "You're perfect for me, you know that right?"

"Carson..."

"The way you say my name is beautiful." He said dreamily, throwing his head back in a laugh that almost took my breath away and I knew then and there I was falling in love with Carson Knight. I looked at him, our eyes meeting. He leaned closer towards me, his minty breath on my lips. "Can I kiss you?"

I bit my lip, nodding. Within a second he lips were crashed against mine, pulling me into a beautiful kiss. I felt myself melt against him, wrapping my arms around his shoulders while he pulled me into his lap. He nipped at my lips in a fight to gain entrance and I let him in, allowing him to gain dominance as our kiss deepened.

We pulled apart after a moment and Carson looked away, admiring the city. "Should I take you home?"

I nodded, checking the time. He stood, reaching his hand out for mine. I grabbed it and we made our way out of the building silently.

When we finally arrived back at my building, he stayed with me in the elevator, and walking me to the door of the apartment. I unlocked the door and stepped inside immediately noticing no one was home. "Do you want to come in?"

He didn't respond, just simply walked into the entry, closing the door behind him with a neutral look on his face. I couldn't read him, I had no idea what to expect or how he felt besides what he had said earlier. Neither of us spoke as he followed me up the stairs and into my bedroom. I kicked off my heels, finding relief for my feet and turning to watch Carson as he sat down on my bed. My heart beat in my chest as I approached him, standing between his legs as he sat, his hands staying in his lap as he looked me in the eye, not breaking contact.

He reached out and caressed the side of my face, trailing down my neck and going lower to caress the side of my body. He stopped at the hem of my dress, his bare fingers making contact with the flesh of my thigh before he pulled away. He stared at me through hooded eyes, reaching out once more to grasp the back of my neck and pull me down into a gentle kiss.

This kiss was short and sweet, and when he released me, I bit my lip, looking towards the alarm clock besides my bed. 1:54AM. "Do you want to stay?"

He glanced out the window, through the lace curtains, before looking back at me. "Do you want me to?"

I nodded, before hesitantly speaking. "I don't want to... I'm not ready for that... I-"

"I won't do anything you don't want me to do." He nuzzled my neck, and wrapped an arm around my waist, causing my to grip his shirt.

"Stay." I whispered, knowing that he could hear me.

*****