Chapter 24- The Bet

Fresh snow littered the grounds as November came to a close, and, despite Draco's sweet efforts, the dreamless sleep potions didn't work.

But, Harry didn't want to tell Draco that because 1. Draco would probably think that it was his potion making skills and Harry didn't want to make him feel bad. Draco was brilliant at potions, he shouldn't lose confidence because Harry's body was weird; 2. it was really nice having someone care for him, not that Draco didn't or Hermione didn't or Ron didn't. Plenty of people did, but the way Draco did it made Harry's heart swell; and 3. they got to spend more time together.

Not a lot of it, but spare moments after classes or during lunch to brew more. It gave them an excuse to be with each other, even if Harry had to lie to his friends more than usual about it.

Hell, this year had been so horrible so far, it was easy to isolate himself. His friends, being awesome friends, gave him space. All he had to do was ask— though that boundary wasn't set until after a bit of a row.

"Why can't you just let us in," Hermione had begged him.

"I just need to be alone."

"Are you actually being alone, or are you hanging out with your girlfriend?"

"Why is that a problem?"

"It's not. That's my point. You don't have to hide that from us, just tell us," she said.

"Blimey," Ron crossed his arms, "you're still dating her?" Harry didn't say no. "Are we ever going to find out who she is?"

"Yes," Harry grit his teeth. "One day, maybe."

"We won't get in the way. We just wish you'd trust us enough to tell us at least who she is so we can help protect her," Hermione frowned. "She can join the DA."

"We don't even know if the DA is going to be a thing, it's just an idea. And that's the thing, I don't want you to. The less people that know the better, the safer we are. If Voldemort knows..."

"We're not going to tell anyone, mate."

"I know Ron, I really do."

"Do her friends know," Hermione asked.

"No," Harry lied, though it burned. "It's equal on both sides. Please don't stalk me. Don't try to figure it out. I don't want you to. Please, just give me this one thing. I won't trust you anymore if you try to." Then he added, "You know our friendship means the world to me right?"

They both looked at him, nodding.

"I promise I'll tell you when you need to know. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm late to being alone."

And Harry thought about it. Hard.

He could trust his friends to keep his secret. Ron would hate him for a while, but he wouldn't end their friendship, and Hermione might be offended too.

But it was too much handle all at once, and he wanted Draco's thoughts on it.

"I've been thinking," he brought up on their next date. They were huddled by the fire at their secret place, snow clouds blocking the stars in the sky and snow pillowing the ground. "I want to tell Ron and Hermione."

Draco didn't say anything at first. He continued stroking Harry's hair, though his hand did slow down a bit. "Okay."

But Harry immediately thought he said no. "It's not fair that Pansy and Blaise know and Ron and Hermione don't."

"I agree."

"And I know your friends keep the secret well, but I think Ron and Hermione would, too."