Fifty-Five || Simon Says

|| Simon Says

Jacy held Stiles' hand, her eyes wide as she watched a team in yellow hazmat suits come through the doors of their school. "You jinxed it, Yukimura."

An entire quarantine was set up, it straight out of a movie. Tubes and tarps, every single piece sterile enough to set a germaphobe at ease.

When it was all set, Scott found Lydia's mother as everyone tried to remain calm. In Sydney's makeshift room, he stood at the edge of her bed. "What do we do?"

"We isolate the sick and then we wait for instructions," Natalie told him as she set out a blanket over Sydney's legs. "If I'm wrong, they'll be out of here pretty quickly, and then I'm the crazy biology teacher who panicked for nothing."

Scott stayed, Natalie leaving. He looked to Sydney, able to sense her worry. "Hey," he said. "You're gonna be okay."

Sydney lightly shook her head, "It's not that. The PSAT is the qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship. My parents can't afford to send me to college without it."

Scott put a hand on her comfortingly, "Well, I'm sure they'll let you take it again."

Sydney smiled, giving a soft nod.

Scott left her quarantine room, going out into the hall. He tensed, his heart rate quickening. He passed Natalie, ducking into the locker room.

And as Scott was beginning to lose control, Jacy was getting jittery in the classroom.

The clairvoyant sat on a desk, facing towards Stiles who mirrored her. Next to her was Kira, the three concerned.

"Bet they're thinking smallpox," Stiles said in thought to the girls.

"Not likely."

Jacy, Stiles and Kira looked over, Mr. Simon eavesdropping with a bored expression.

"Smallpox was eradicated worldwide in 1979," Simon told them. "We've only managed to completely eradicate two viruses in history. The other was rinderpest."

"It killed cows," Jacy finished.

"Indeed," replied Simon with his eyes on Jacy.

Stiles slightly angled towards Simon, "So we should be comforted by that?"

"Unless it's something worse," he said with a flat expression.

Jacy turned her attention from Simon, listening to the outside. "They're taking it pretty seriously, whatever it is. There's a lot of cars and trucks out there."

"We're doing our best."

"Your dad's with them," Jacy said to Stiles.

"Hey, I should probably call him." Stiles climbed off the desk and reached for his cell.

"Don't bother," Simon announced to him. "They would have shut off any access to all outside communication by now. No cell service, no wifi. No one starting a panic. Looks like we're all just going to have to wait here and see what happens."

Jacy felt chills run along her skin at his words, it making her nearly nauseous. She looked to the side, getting an idea. "Mr. Simon?"

He tilted his chin, "Yes, Miss Parrish?"

"May I be excused to the rest room?" Jacy asked as she noted Stiles scratching himself on the neck.

Although hesitating, Simon agreed. "Be quick, please."