Chapter 28

I awoke in a bed with soft, silvery sheets and an abundance of poofy pillows. The room was too bright. My eyes were throbbing, how I wasn't sure but it felt like they would swell right out of my head. I moaned miserably and stretched. My body ached as though I had been quartered and dragged for several miles and then sewn back together.

A flash of a memory prompted me to pull my arm upward. Dried blood caked on the skin, but the wound itself was nothing but an angry scar. I guess I had been sewn back together. Shifter saliva...I would never have guessed. My mind fogged for a moment and the soft mattress and pull of sleep threatened to pull me in.

There were important topics I needed to consider though. Such as where I was, and where everyone else was. If I could just sort out the confused mess of my mind.

The soft click of a door focused my attention, sort of. I struggled to force my gaze the direction of the sound.

"You're awake," Dynarys's stated, coming around the foot of the bed. He was damp, and half naked. I stared at the contours of his chest, tiny beads of water glistened on his skin. Such perfection, I wanted to reach out and trace the muscles with my fingertips.

When I did Dynarys snatched my fingers and brought them to his lips. Lowering himself next to me on the bed. I didn't know whether I was relieved or disappointed when he remained on top of the sheets.

Long fingers reached out and ran through my hair, massaging gently at my temples.

"Mmmm, oh I love you," I murmured against his arm, closing my eyes.

He chuckled. "Yes, you have said, though this time I think you might be speaking to my fingers."

I cracked my eyes open. He was there in front of me, amber eyes intense and tired. His hair was wet and clean and the stubble had been scraped from his jaw. But he looked weary, the last week had worn on his essence. A little of the guilt and worry returned. I had almost cost myself everything.

"I do love you," I told him. "I'm sorry Dynarys, I..."

He swooped down, stilling my words with a kiss. "Do not apologize now, it is over and you are alive. That is what matters," he studied my face. "But do not ever lie to me again."

I shook my head, agreeing and ashamed.

"And we will have to work some of this wilfulness out."

Whoa, what? I swallowed and looked at his face. Yes indeed his eyes flared, passion in their depths.

That deep pull of longing that seemed constant when he was around flared back, bringing my arousal, and my body's condition into clear focus. I wanted to. I wanted him, right then, but there was no way I could handle it physically. Even mentally exhaustion warred with consciousness.

His fingers brushed my temple once more, and then down along my jaw. Such a simple caress and it made a mess of me.

"Not today," he told me the corner of his perfect mouth twisting wryly. I must have frowned because he snorted at me. "Believe me I could fuck you from now until sunset. But I will not have you hurting yourself trying to keep up with my desires. You need to rest yet, and unfortunately we have other tasks that must be seen to this day."

"We do?"

Dynarys nodded. "Kurath's trial is today, you are required to relay the events from in the forest."

In the forest. Suddenly it all came back to me. Grim's trap and Pourtus the traitor, Kurath and then...I pushed myself upright. The sheets I had been buried beneath fell to my waist and it occurred to me that I was naked. Someone had undressed me, the clothes must have been blood soaked. Even now patched of dried blood marred my skin where I had cradled my arm against my chest.