07| lessons in betrayal

"Chinese lessons. You want Chinese lessons?"

"Yes."

"Can I ask why?"

I want to do better, my subconscious whispered. "Most of the Pack can't converse in English. How am I supposed to be the Jaci if I don't posses basic conversational skills?" The azure eyes of the Pack Watcher eye me suspiciously. "Mhmm. And you aren't trying to avoid your mate?" I gulp nervously.

"Why would I do that?"

She smiles a breathtaking smile, and I feel my heart squeeze. "I'm the Pack Watcher, Marcus. I know everything that goes on here. Besides, its pretty much district knowledge at this point--Flame is very excited by the prospects of a Jaci and also really loves gossip."

"Gossip? I thought you hated it?" She smiles again and I feel the rush of cold sweat dampen my palm. "I do. Only when its frivolous and betrayal--if it concerns the well being of the pack, I'm usually the first to know." Jesus, why is my masturbation so important to these people? "No worries, I teach a lot of the younger wolves Mandarin anyways. You've come to the right person. Wanna start now?"

2 hours later, after numerous awkward pronunciations, confusing symbols and general exhaustion, I had finally mastered the alphabet.

"Well," Jenny begun, "It's still your first lesson. No need to worry about becoming fluent just yet." I sigh halfheartedly, with the image of Xlavin and Lana burning fresh in my memory. I bet he's fluent.

"So, tell me your story."

"My story?"

"Yeah, story. Everyone has one--even human teenagers from America. Who were you before you became the Jaci of the largest wolf Pack in the world?" I was shocked and touched by her interest, as I have never felt so ignored since I came to this place. For once, someone cared about what I had to say and I smiled as I recounted my albeit boring life history. "Its always been my mother, Ina and I. No idea who my dad is, he died of lung cancer a couple of years after I was born. My sister is legally blind and usually attended a special needs school wherever we were at the moment." She furrows her eyebrows in confusion and I find myself smiling at the cute reaction. "At the moment?"

"We never stayed in one place for too long--mom's an engineer and she has to move around a lot. I've lived almost everywhere--Brunei, Switzerland, France, Russia, Namibia. That's why being in China doesn't come as too much of a shock, my assimilation skills are near perfect. I'm a collector of Archie Comics--" Jenny lets out a shocked gasp, stopping my story. "Oh my god, Archie? My mom has been collecting them since she was a kid--she even has the first edition in mint copy." My heart begins to beat at an unnatural pace and I grab her shoulders. "What?! I've been looking for that copy for years--do you know how expensive that thing is? Jesus, does she still want it because--"

"Oh I can get it off her easy. She has no use for them now and since she's so crap at using the computer she doesn't realize the price those things will sell for. I could always tell her but--" She smiles coyly at me and I think I'm infatuated, "I think I like you more. I can get them to you by Monday, if you'd like." I release the grip I have on her shoulders and kiss her cheek.

"I haven't been this happy in a while. Thank you. It's nice to have a human around who gets me."

Suddenly, Jenny's pupils begin to glaze over slightly and her voice drops to a husky whisper. "It's nice having a human around who gets me too." And she kisses me, her soft lips encasing my own. I am stunned for a good few minuted as she pokes the edge of my lips with my tongue, apparently not caring that I haven't kissed her back yet. And in that second, I feel a sharp, agonizing ache in my shoulder and I realize its coming from my mark. My face begins to flush and a bead of sweat forms around my upper lips which Jenny notices. "Marcus," she gasps, "Your mark. It's burning."

I sneak a look at my now red shoulder before completely passing out, with the sounds of panic and screams being drowned out for the cold embrace of darkness.

A/N

Very short but very important chapter as the ball begins rolling with the next chapter

And how do you think a certain Lana's gonna react to her mate being kissed by the Pack Watcher?

Updates coming very soon!