~28~

The wind had picked up outside, so the fairy-lights on the patio were abandoned and the dinner service was brought indoors. Chef Pastille prepared a smoked turkey with cranberry dressing, along with all of Lexi's favorites. She had been floating on cloud nine since her win on the croquet field, and she didn't even mind when her dad seated her next to James from Portland.

Luke quickly snatched the seat across from Lexi, which gave her some reassurance. He had gone quiet after his congratulatory handshake, although Lexi suspected he was ready to engage her again as he grabbed a water pitcher and filled her glass. As soon as he met her gaze, James from Portland leaned in, beating Luke to the punch.

"You made a good showing on the lawn today, Lexi," James said. "I don't play croquet, but I was able to pick up the gist of the game. There's a lot of strategy involved, not unlike backgammon. Do you play backgammon?"

"Yes. My brother and I used to play a lot before he started working for the man. Namely, my dad. I take it you play?"

"At least three games a day. I have a backgammon app on my phone. Can I interest you in a game after supper?"

Lexi sipped from her water glass as she considered James' offer. Three challenges in one day had to be a record. "Sure, why not. I appear to be on a roll today."

James raised his glass to toast her. "Well, birthday girl. Let's hope the dice rolls in your favor."

His clever wordplay had Lexi grinning while everyone busied themselves with food. A few seconds in, she felt someone tap her leg under the table. It was Nora, who tilted her head subtly at Luke. Lexi glanced up in time to see him shoot James a fiery look while stabbing his turkey breast mercilessly. Did Luke have a problem with James? Had something happened between them? She knew jealousy couldn't be blamed. Lexi wasn't foolish enough to believe that. Although she could hope.

Lexi took pity on Luke, pushing the gravy boat toward him. "You should try Chef Pastille's gravy. He uses buttermilk to thicken it. C'est magnifique."

His focus snapped to Lexi in a movement so swift, she would have missed the transition if Nora hadn't clued her in. "Thank you, Lexi. Your chef is a credit to his profession. I will offer my compliments after the meal."

He took the gravy boat, brushing his fingers against hers, and she almost felt sparks as the exchange was made. If only he knew what his touch did to her. How her skin tingled and her hormones raged when his gaze drifted to her. He would have no need for jealousy.

The meal was finished with a watermelon and strawberry sorbet served with lemon wafers, leaving everyone properly sated, and a procession of guests retired to the living room for after dinner drinks. Luke waited expectantly next to Lexi's chair and offered his hand as she stood.

"I had hoped you would introduce me to your fine Chef Pastille," he said. "I'd like to give him my compliments."

Luke's comment didn't seem to register with James, who nudged Lexi in the hip as he made his own request. "C'mon, Lexi. Let's set up the backgammon board before all the seats are taken."

Lexi turned from Luke to James then back again, assessing the urgency of their expressions and tasking her brain with finding an answer that would appease both. She had been a beast to all the boys since the weekend started, and she needed to be civil to at least one of them. James had earned a few points making it through dinner without annoying her, but Luke was, by far, her favorite, and he had taken a terrible blow to his ego on the croquet field, which she wanted to nurse back to health.

Ultimately, it was her dad's advice Lexi decided to take. If you try to please all of the people all of the time, you end up pissing everyone off. She smiled at Luke.