1 - Be a Witness to a Murder Case

1 – Be a Witness to a Murder Case

          By the time we reached the abandoned lot of the Rosings I was already panting and sweating all over my shirt. I stopped for a moment to catch my breath and to prepare myself for whatever horror my companion wanted me to see. Erwin Gregory was immediately lost in the pool of curious people trying to catch a glimpse of the scene. I straightened my back and went into the crowd. Some people were hiding their disgust at the sight; some just wanted to see if the person lying on the ground was related to them.

           I was one of the few people brave and curious enough to really examine the body without crossing the yellow line. Several meters away from his patrol car, the man was lying with his left cheek kissing the dirt with blood pooling from the bullet hole of his forehead. He was bald and has a body of a drunkard judging from his big stomach. His eyes were left unclosed sending chills to whoever dares to look at him. He was wearing his black police uniform but his gun was no longer dangling from his waist.

          "That is not what I wanted you to see but you've seen it now so my friend, marvel at my art," Erwin said. He didn't care to lower his voice since the people surrounding us were like bees buzzing nonstop.

          I turned my head to watch him. He was smiling while looking at the police officer's body. A glint of satisfaction was in his eyes. I remember when he broke the news to me this morning. He leaned on the counter, pulled a pistol from his back, and put it on top. I thought he just bought a new gun so I didn't question him at first but then his laughter gave it all away. Erwin Gregory struck again.

          "He called me names, Oliver. I was just walking and that motherfucker blew his horn so suddenly even if I was at the very edge of the road," he told me. I noticed the calmness in his voice like he was just telling a story about his day at school.

          It has been a habit of Erwin Gregory to update me with his monstrous doings. I know it's because he wanted me to feed his ego by praising him or just simply pay attention to his words. He's monotonous when he wanted to and when he's in a great mood he'll add energy to his narrations. He also has this fixed gaze like he's trying to read you, trying to predict your next move. Even when he's boasting you will never catch him off guard.

          A police officer was taking pictures of the different angles of the incident so he advised us to step back for him to do his job effectively. Erwin lifted his head from the dead man and looked at the officer who reprimanded us. His eyes were screaming death so I immediately thought of something that will distract him from killing another member of the police department.

          "So what exactly did you want me to see?" I asked him.

          He showed me a wicked smile and turned his attention at the blonde girl writing notes as the sheriff speaks. The girl was outside the yellow line but she seemed fully committed to the case. Erwin studied his new prey. I already knew him so well to know that he's not doing this out of love. He just came from Harrington two days ago, he's bored, and he needs a new game. He needs someone he can toy with.

          "You don't want her," I whispered.

          "Because she's smart?"

          Erwin doesn't know what love is. He doesn't feel anything than anger. He will always ask first whether he can get something out of someone before approaching him or her. It has been a jungle for Erwin since birth. It's to kill or be killed. He might be just nineteen but he had already killed twice the number of his age. Mostly because of his bad temper, sometimes out of boredom, and there are times when someone is a hindrance or a big help to his plans.