Chapter 20: Truth

Chapter 20: Truth

The next morning, we left very early to avoid Joey tagging along with us.

"I have his PokeGear number now, so if he calls I'll just tell him that we needed to leave early and didn't have time to say good bye."

"Joy." The point of leaving early was to keep him from stalking us, including over the phone, but what did I know?

We continued east, walking until lunch time in which we decided to set up camp in another small clearing. My Pokemon had been running while Dawn and I had walked, so I decided that they wouldn't train at all this afternoon to avoid complete exhaustion.

I felt better now that we were far away from Joey and my irritation at Dawn was a lot smaller than it had been yesterday, so I found it easier to put up with her moments of annoyance. Dawn decided to pass the remainder of the day playing with her Pokemon.

They mostly played hide and seek, which was actually amusing to watch, but mostly because Dawn looked so gullible. Her Pokemon would hide high up in the trees or in camouflaged brush. She took so long to find them that I was surprised she didn't give up or grow bored. Even Mamoswine, pretending to be an actual boulder, was stealthy enough to deceive Dawn.

As she sat down, grinning, at dinner I chuckled.

"What's up?" Dawn asked.

"I just didn't know you had such a hard to telling the difference between rock and fur."

Dawn sighed and looked around the campsite, noticing her Pokemon weren't paying attention, whispered, "Do you really think I didn't notice Mamoswine? He's massive. I was just trying to make him feel good about himself."

Shocked, I didn't say anything at first. So she was just trying to include everyone equally in the game, even if that meant she looked like a complete idiot. "So instead of telling him how his size makes him a horrible hide and seek player, you just pretend you can't find him as if he's a baby? Do you think it's really wise to keep him in the dark?"

"I'm not keeping him in the dark. He knows he's different because he's huge."

"Are you sure? Never mind, what do I care?" I crossed my arms. "If your Pokemon decides to hide behind you instead of battling, which is something a Pokemon of that size was created to do, then so be it."

Dawn sighed. "Maybe you're right. I'll think about it, ok? I just don't feel like arguing."

"Ok."

After a couple minutes, Dawn asked, "Want to play a game?"

"No."

"Come on, Paul! Neither of us are tired enough to go to bed."

"I will be in about fifteen seconds."

"Ugh!" Dawn pouted. "Please..."

My mind flashed to her coupon book and I almost went to rip out one of the multiple "one hour of silence" coupons, but I decided they needed to be saved. Something as precious as silence couldn't be wasted just to avoid whatever childish game Dawn had thought up. It couldn't require that much concentration.

"Fine."

"Cool!" Dawn cheered. "Ok, let's play Truth or Dare."

"I dare you to kill me now."

"No, it doesn't work like that," Dawn said seriously. I resisted the urge to punch something. Maybe I should break out that coupon now. "Truth or dare?"

My eyes flickered to hers, which were very focused on me. I sighed again. "Truth."

"Ok." Dawn thought. "What's your favorite region?"