LXXIV - Forever

Hiya. :D

The song for this chapter is "Armor" by Landon Austin. I absolutely adore this song, and I think of Elijah and Rose every time I listen to it. Rose is vulnerable right now, especially when she's around Elijah. But maybe that's exactly what she needs. :)

Enjoy!

P.S. OH MY GOD THAT FLASHBACK IS AWFUL. Oh well.

Maybe I'll crash into you ,

Maybe we'll open these wounds.

We're only alive if we bruise,

So I lay down this armor.

______________________________________________________________________

Chapter Seventy-Four

The wolves seemed to think that they were invincible. They were wrong.

This simple fact was proven when Elijah and I stood outside of the Gurerra home, with death on our minds and vengeful fire in our hearts.

There were men patrolling the outside of it, and with one simple yank, I tore out the heart of one of them. Another charged at Elijah, and he disconnected the man's head from his body. The blood splattered on the window through which I had seen Francesca, and I knew that, by now, they most definitely knew of our presence. They were just too scared to do anything about it.

Only one of them had a ring, and it was the one that I had killed. Elijah sat down on the steps of the porch, and disconnected the finger of the wolf, and I could practically feel the power draining from the stone. Klaus probably felt it too.

Elijah and I both stood up straight when we heard four men come out, and I knew that they had been hired as Francesca's security detail. They were human, and they didn't seem to realize exactly what was happening, which made it all the more amusing when Elijah killed each of them. I suppose that he didn't want me to feel any more guilt than the amount I felt right now. I was grateful for that.

I raised my hand, and the door of the house swung open. Elijah picked up the head of one of the men, and threw it in through the doorway as if he were rolling a soccer ball.

Elijah and I both smiled softly as we walked up the steps, going to the doorway. I stood beside Elijah while we watched Francesca and her remaining little friends come near the doorway, moving around the severed head. When she saw us at the door, Francesca smiled triumphantly.

"It's fine!" she said to her brothers. "They can't come in."

"Can't we?" Elijah asked, turning to look at me with an amused look.

Francesca laughed, moving closer to us. "You can't win."

Elijah smiled, shaking his head as he leaned against the door frame. "You mobsters all suffer from such hubris," Francesca looked at us questioningly. "Did you know that Al Capone thought himself invincible back in his day? And, in the end, he was sentence to the wretched filth of Alcatraz, for which of his atrocities? Anyone?"

I smiled and raised my hand like a child in a classroom. He chuckled and gestured to me.

"Yes, Rose?" he asked.

"A failure to pay his taxes," I smirked, then turned to look at Francesca. "Tax evasion."

Elijah chuckled. "Yes, I suppose the devil's in the details, isn't it?" He turned back to Francesca and looked around the mansion, smiling again. "My, my, you have a beautiful home here. I was so pleased when the city too my suggestion to protect its heritage status and invoke eminent domain."