Halloween Story and Contest Info

Some background information--This takes place after Iris has been found by Jonas. Technically the story has already passed Halloween but for this short story it is Halloween. Also Iris and Jonas are a couple in this. 

Iris~~

I tie the strings of the black mask. The masked figure stares back at me through the mirror.  Out of habit I tug the sleeve of my dress farther down and the figure does the same. The black dress brushes along the floor of my bedroom as I twist, examining it. I'm hiding who I am. Some part of this seems wrong. I touch the sweetheart neckline lightly, tilting my head to the side. The other girl does the same. Jonas will be here soon to escort me to the Phantom Ball. Girls have a mandatory requirement to wear long dresses, but still create a costume with it. I'm a ninja.

    The ball is being held below the Society. My arm will burn. So will Jonas'.

    Someone knocks at my door. That would probably be Jonas. Pushing my hair over my shoulders I open the door. I fight a smile at Jonas' costume. He wears light gray pants and a light blue shirt. A gold sash is draped across his torso, and on his head sits a golden crown. The hallway is dark.

    He sweeps his hand, bowing. "Your prince charming has arrived." Adorable as usual.

    I curtsey. "Your highness."

    He holds out his hand. "Milady, are you ready?"

    "Yes."

    "You sure?"

    "Do I not look like it?"

He shakes his head, blushing. "You look exquisite, love. I mean, about going down there."

"We'll be going through this together. If you can do it, so can I."

    We stroll down the darkened hallway, cobwebs draped along the walls like curtains. Candelabras on shelves cast an eerie glow around us. The entire Society's estate seems to be transformed into an old abandoned mansion. Mythical characters pass us, some good and some bad. Princess, vampires, fairies, villains. I step closer to Jonas.

He smiles at me. "Scared?"

    "Yes."

    He wraps his arm around me. "Don't be. You look very mysterious tonight. I think my brother should be scared."

    I laugh. I could karate chop Colton, though I don't think Jonas would appreciate that. "You look very dashing."

    He holds his head high, grinning. "Thank you, Iris."

     We descend the first set of stairs to the base floor. Society members dressed in their elegant costumes pour down the steps leading underneath the estate. Once I touch the first step leading below, a pain shoots up my left arm. I wrap my right one around Jonas.

    He looks down at me. "Are you okay?

    I bite my lip and nod. I'm fine. I can handle this. "Are you?"

    He inhales. "We'll see."

    Underneath the Society the architecture is gothic, making it easily come across as haunted. Need I mention the mysterious burning and the calling of my name that usually occurs adds to that effect? The stone steps curl around themselves. The candelabras cast crawling, sporadic shadows. A waltz drifts over the stairs like a fog.

    As we descend deeper my arm burns but it's not as bad as usual. Anyone we pass or who passes us doesn't pay us too much attention, except for bowing slightly to their Preeminence. The candelabras placed in stone alcoves in the wall are the only source of light.