Chapter 2a: A star is formed (part 1)

CHAPTER 2

A star is formed (part 1)

I continued to stare up at him, my brain completely frozen, until either Deb or Bri kicked me under the table. In a lame attempt to cover my idiocy, I coughed, then dredged up a smile. I hoped it wasn't a stupid one.

"I know. I mean . . . Hi. Um, so, how do you like Jewel so far?" It was a normal sort of thing to ask. Much better than Why is someone as gorgeous as you talking to a nobody like me?

"More than I expected to." His smile didn't look fake at all. And Bri was right--it did make him look even more amazing, which shouldn't have been possible. That odd electrical pull was stronger than ever and I felt the power of speech leaving me again.

One of my friends gave me another kick under the table. It must have been Bri, because she immediately said, "Hey, Rigel! Welcome to Jewel. I'm Brianna Morrison and this is Debbi Andrews. Have a seat." She indicated the chair next to me.

I felt a stab of panic. I'd never be able to hide the way he affected me if he sat here! Not that I was doing a great job of it now.

"Thanks, but I'm already sitting over there." He motioned toward Trina, Nicole, Amber, and a couple other cheerleaders, a few tables away.

Relief battled with disappointment, but neither lasted beyond his next words.

"Maybe tomorrow? Anyway, I, ah, noticed we have a couple classes together and just wanted to say hi." He was looking at me again-looking at me almost the same way he'd looked at Trina in homeroom. Which was wonderful, but also really weird.

My voice was stuck again, but this time Deb came to my rescue. "It's great to meet you, Rigel. We'll see you tomorrow, definitely!"

"Tomorrow, then." With a last, stunning smile that kept me from getting the polite response I'd composed in my head out of my mouth, he headed back to Trina, who was looking decidedly pissed.

"Omigod, omigod, omigod!" Brianna breathed as soon as he was out of earshot. "Can you believe that?"

I slowly shook my head, because I really, really couldn't.

"M!" Deb's voice was low and dramatic. "He is so totally into you! It's like he couldn't stop staring at you!"

"That's it," Bri said decisively. "After school, Deb and I are giving you an extreme makeover. You are so going to snatch Rigel right out from under Trina's greedy little nose!"

They started chattering about makeup, hairstyles, acne treatments, and even contacts, but their words just washed over me while I relived those magical few moments when Rigel had been standing here, looking right at me. Staring at me. Saying he wanted to get to know me.

Us. He'd meant all of us, of course. But still . . .

When we got to U.S. History, Bri and Deb were surprised that Rigel was there already--which surprised me. How could they not have noticed him going into the room just thirty feet ahead of us? I was forced to the conclusion that neither of them were quite as obsessed with his every move as I was.

Though I only allowed myself the briefest glance as I crossed the room, I caught him looking my way, which flustered me so badly I nearly knocked a desk over.

"He's watching you, M," Bri whispered. "He can't keep his eyes off of you!"

Deb nodded vigorously. "Even with Amber coming on to him, he's staring this way. And if he's interested now, just wait till he sees you tomorrow! You'll be gorgeous."