Chapter Twenty-One: The Test (EDITED)

Ariel's POV

Zac's changed a lot.

His eyes don't hold that joyous spark that they used to, instead they're dull and empty. He barely smiled and refused to let anyone hold him. He also hadn't called Shane and I Shubby and Ari ever since he woke up, claiming it was because he 'grew out of it', but I could see that there was something else on his mind. Instead of playing and spending time with all of us, he spends time locked in his room, murmuring to himself about something unknown. And to be honest, it scared me. "Ariel," Shane softly said, causing me to jump a bit in surprise. "Sorry I didn't mean to scare you. It's just late and you need to be in bed with me."

I nodded. I'd been camped out on the couch, waiting for Zac to come out since the couch is where we used to spend time together and watch dumb movies while we ate popcorn, but I had no luck.

He gently picked me up and I buried my face in his neck, inhaling his intoxicating scent as he started walking toward the stairs. We passed the many rooms, one of which I could hear the same loud snores of my brother. "We need to get him into a sound proof room," I murmured.

Shane lightly chuckled. "It is,"

I looked at him in shock. "Really?"

"No," he said, a grin growing onto his lips, causing me to glare at him. "Ours is the only soundproof room in the house." He said casually, causing me to look at him in confusion.

"W-What?" I asked as a blush crept onto my cheeks, having an idea where this was going.

"Ours is the only soundproof room in the house," he said as we entered our room. "Do you need me to elaborate more because I can-" I covered my ears and shook my head, not wanting to hear anymore, but I could still hear his laughs. I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks so I buried my face into his chest in order to hide it.

He closed the door then gently laid me down on the bed. "You still worried about Zac?" He asked, shattering the silence that had formed between us.

I looked at him. "Aren't you?"

"Of course, I am," he said. "He's my baby brother and to see him like this so....so distant it hurts." I could feel his sadness seeping through his words.

I hugged him. "Things already got worse, I think. So now things have to go better, right?"

"Maybe," he said. "I just...feel like something's changed you know. Not just with Zac but with everything. He keeps saying that something's coming but he doesn't know what. I can feel that something big is coming too, Ariel. And I don't think it's going to be good and I'm afraid that I won't be able to protect you." he said, his voice becoming soft at the end as he looked out the window.

"Shane," I said as I placed a hand on each side on his face and forced him to look at me. "You'll always protect me and I know that for a fact. And if theres a reason you can't, I'll still love you anyways and know that you did your best." I smiled before I placed a gentle kiss on his lips, filled with true love and compassion for one another. After a few more minutes, I broke the kiss and rested my forehead on his. "I love you, Shane," I whispered.

"I love you too, Ariel," he whispered back. "And I promise, no matter what, I will protect you with everything I've got."

"Promise?" I asked, even though I already knew his response.

"Promise."

*****

Unknown's POV

It was almost time for the test. I had options, but they were all too harsh for my liking. But then again, it's not my choice. I have to do this for all of my children. All werewolf kind. I sighed as I made my choice. I knew Shane was strong, but he's at his best when he has Ariel. Ariel's strong but she's stronger with Shane by her side. I have to separate them. I have to break them down and let them build themselves up again. I have to shatter their world, their everything and let them rebuild it from scratch. I needed to know that they could take care of themselves. It hurt to know that I was sending my children into direct heartbreak and pain, but what choice did I have?

My once powerful glow had turned into a dim light. My once fluorescent white hair had turned more into a dull gray. It became harder and harder for me to do my job. I was fading. "I'm sorry Ariel and Shane," I said with a weak voice. "But I have to do it or we will all perish."

I felt a tear slid down my cheek. I saw what lies ahead of them and it was terrible, painful, and heartbreaking, but then again, so were my other options.

I pulled the little power I had left from within and released it so the test could begin. I felt a painful pang in my chest. Why does this hurt so much? I'm doing what I need to do. I'm doing what is right for all my children.

I collapsed onto the floor. I still had a little bit of time left. Let's just hope that they pass before it's too late.

*****
Hey guys. Sorry about the short chappy but I'm thinking about starting their test in the next chapter. I have a little idea about their test but if you have anything, PLEASE TELL ME so I can make the book better for you and because I really need some ideas. Anyway, thanks a ton for getting this book to #89 in werewolf! 💋💋 I'm so happy that you guys like this book and are enjoying it!

I'm just speechless.

Don't forget to comment, vote, etc.

Love y'all- Jordan🦄

EDITED JULY 16, 2016