Chapter 79

Bethany's POV

I laid there, staring at the ceiling. I could feel Harry's eyes on me, taking in my every move. I could feel my chest rising and falling as I tried to find the right words to explain everything that had happened.

The trial was so intense to me; even hours later, my heart was still pounding.

I walked into the court room wearing a conservative dress. My make up was flawless and my hair pulled back into a sleek ponytail. I wanted to look the part of a serious woman, and I hoped my appearance helped with that.

I watched as John's wife walked into the courtroom. Her body was covered in a pantsuit and her hair pulled into a high bun. She was still gorgeous and she looked as if none of this was affecting her in the slightest.

The courtroom was filled with press and other people here to support me. I would get justice for my parents. I wouldn't allow anything less.

My stomach churned when I saw the judge enter. Her black robe flowed backwards as she walked to her chair. Her black hair was styled tightly to her face. She looked extremely strict, though, I suppose that's what I needed for this trial.

I sat in the front of the room with my head held high. I needed to at least seem like this wasn't affecting me.

We sat down after she told us to. Her voice was authoritative. If she'd been my mother, I guarantee I'd be scared to even blink.

John's wife took the hot seat up front where her lawyer began to question her. He asked her what she'd done that day. He asked what he relationship with my parents was like. All of which she answered positively and innocently. It was scary to see her fake smile all the time.

Then my lawyer went up. He stood tall, firing question after question towards her. She looked as if she was going to break at one point. She barely had any time to think for half the questions. When my lawyer got to the tattoo on her hand, that's when everything went down hill.

He pulled a picture of the small tattoo up on a screen in front of the courtroom. Everyone stared at the picture in awe. No one had ever seen this piece of evidence from the crime except me and the police.

When Katherine was asked to raise her hand, she sent me the coldest glare I've ever received. Her jaw locked, her face turned pale. She knew it was the end.

I watched slowly as her hand raised high enough for everyone to see. Everyone in the courtroom gasped as they realized the tattoo on her hand was the same as the tattoo in the picture.

I could feel tears prickling in my eyes. I had to do everything to hold them back.

"I only did it because your parents stole my husband!" Her chair scraped across the floor as she stood up. Her finger was pointed directly at me.

"You're parents business stole my happy marriage away from me. It stole my husband away from me." She was letting out angry tears, but for some reason, I had no remorse for her.

She killed my parents. She took them away from me.

"ORDER. ORDER IN THE COURT." The judges voice boomed through the room. Everyone stilled in silence.

"Katherine Galvin, in the rules of 2nd Degree Murder, I sentence you to 20 years in prison- without bail." The hammer slammed down and the smile on my face grew.

"It's all over now." His raspy voice reminds me.

My head looks to the side, offering him a small smile. He sat through my bantering, holding my hand tightly in his own. His eyes never left my face. I could feel him watching my mouth move and my eyes wander around the room.

Even though I knew it was over, my heart was still pounding. There was still doubt in me that led me to believe she'd get away with it. I didn't want to think about it anymore. I wanted to cuddle with Harry and just be with him.

"Thank you for letting me do it on my own." I tell him honestly. I couldn't believe he actually let me go by myself. I needed it.

"Baby of course. You're independent. I know that. This was something you wanted to do by yourself. I understand that."

I felt chills run down my spine as his finger tips brushed a piece of hair from my face. He continued to touch my face, fingers running now over my face.

"Harry..." I sigh.

He looks down at me concerned. His hand stops his gentle assault and he brings it down to my waist. He pulls us close together, not an inch between us.

"What is it, love?"

"Thank you for being with me."

"I don't want to be with anyone else. Ever." His raspy voice fills my ears. It makes my body become covered in chills.

"I know everything always seems so complicated between us, but I'm so unbelievably happy I met you." His small confession makes my heart race again.

"Harry..." I sigh.

"Yes love?" Chills run down my arms as I feel his finger tips touch my skin.

"Now that the trial is over, and all that is solved.... It's time we work on us. It's time we figure things out." I sit up this time, watching him carefully.

"I know baby.  I know."

"So much has happened." I comment.

"I'm completely at fault for it. I'm completely at fault for everything. I'm so so sorry. Nothing will ever make it up to you. I didn't ever think I'd fall for a girl the way I did for you. You're my light at the end of a dark tunnel Beth."

"I never want you to leave me Harry. Do you understand me?"

"Never." He promises, kissing the back of my hand softly.

"I love you Harry."

"Trust me, I couldn't ever stop loving you Bethany Smith."

It was then that I saw a spark in his eye that made my stomach churn.

"I could never ever stop loving you Bethany... Do you feel the same way?"

His words scare me, almost like he was my life line and whatever was about to come out of his mouth would determine life or death for me.

"I do." I say quietly.

"Then marry me."