Sleepy Love Letter

You crumpled up the piece of paper that lay in front of you in, tossing it back into an ever-growing pile of trash that always seemed to land everywhere except the actual trash can. No matter how you wrote the words on the paper, they weren't turning out how you wanted them to.

An empty cup of tea sat on the writing desk you were now slumped against. Accompanying the few paper balls that somehow managed to make it into the waste basket were a few other bags of the herbal substance you were drinking to keep you awake. There was one thing you had decided as soon as you had sat down to write.

You loved him. You loved Alphonse, the kind soul in a suit of armor. His lack of a body didn't deter you in the slightest from falling for him. He was so shy, and sweet, and you had quickly fallen head-over-heels in love. These feelings had developed long ago, and you had let them all build up inside you, and it was overwhelming.

Whether or not you would actually confess your feelings to him directly wasn't important. You were simply going to write them all down.

And you had decided you weren't sleeping until you did.

You sighed, pulling another piece of paper towards you once again.

'It shouldn't be this hard. I'm not even going to give this to him. Just write how you feel,' you thought to yourself.

The multiple times you had gone downstairs to refill your tea had earned you weird looks from Edward and Winry, who stared at you suspiciously whenever you reappeared. You refused to tell them what you were doing cooped up in the upstairs bedroom the Rockbell's had given you. The only one who didn't seem to mind was Alphonse, who sat their quietly and waved shyly whenever you came down.

If only he knew how much that made you want to tell him the truth.

You stared down at the blank paper, deep in thought. At last, you began writing for the hundredth time.

'Alphonse,

I know it may surprise you to hear this, given the state you're in, but there's something I really need to get off my chest.

The way that you are, body only being armor, is something that for most girls would probably rule out any chance of a relationship happening, right? Why have a boyfriend without a physical hand to hold, or lips to kiss, or a body to hug and hold tight? Who wants a suit of armor for a boyfriend?

I do.

You may not have a body that can physically feel, but it's a body all the same. And, for the moment, at least, it's your body. And I love everything about it, because it's yours.

Love isn't about the body, love's about the soul.

And your soul is probably the kindest one I've ever known.

Most girls don't seem to understand that concept. So many of them only look at physical appearance, and completely ignore personality.

Which explains why lots of nice guys don't have girlfriends.

To be honest, I think your armor actually makes you a bit cuter. I love it when Edward talks about how you'll pick up stray cats and put them inside of you to try to keep them out of the rain. I love it when your armor clinks when you walk or even move at all. I love how your voice has a slight echo to it when you talk. I love how you talk about everything you want to do when you get your body back.

But most of all, I love you.

Even if you never get your body back, my feelings won't change. I've felt this way about you for a long time now, I've just been too scared to tell you. Heck, I'm not planning to give you this letter anyways, it was just for me to not have to keep all my feelings bundled up.