Chapter 2

SULLI'S

"Ma'am?"

"Yes," Huminto ako sa pagbabasa ng mga documents at nilingon ang secretary ko.

"Mr. Marquez called, he's asking about the proposal."

I leaned on my swivel chair and crossed my legs. "Give him a call back, tell him to set a meeting and we're going to talk about it "

"Copy, Ma'am." She nodded. She quickly typed it on her tab. "Anything else?"

"My schedule for today." I said flatly.

She skimmed through her notes. "Lunch meeting with our new investor at 11:30am and a conference meeting at 2:00pm."

"Thank you. You may go ahead."

She murmured a weak thank you before she went out. Tiningnan ko yung dinaanan niya at bumuntong-hininga.

Hinagod ko ang sariling buhok at blankong tumingin sa kisame ng opisina ko. I briefly closed my eyes at nakita na naman ang imahe niya sa isipan ko. Napadilat tuloy kaagad ako at ipiniling ang ulo. Bumuntong-hininga ako at ibinalik ang paningin sa binabasa kanina pa.

These files were the list of well-known business tycoons who I needed to negotiate with to create a new line of potential investors. We're planning to open a new commercial building.

"Sulli."

I looked up and saw Vanessa, standing right in front of me. Hindi ko namalayang nakapasok na pala siya. "Vanessa ─"

"You rejected my call." She cut me off. Kababakasan ng tampo ang boses nito.

"Oh, that." I remembered. I forgot to call her back. Masyado akong occupied because of September, that's why I lost my focus. "I'm sorry ─"

"You rejected my invitation last night," Her eyes started to look glassy, an indication that she's going to cry. "And now..."

Panic started rising inside me. It's rare for her to be this emotional, unless of course she had reason to be one. Damn, what am I going to do with her?

"V-Vanessa ─" Tumayo ako at lumapit sa kanya. Hindi ko alam kung paano siya ico-comfort o pakakalmahin or whatever kaya hinagod ko na lang ang likod niya. Geez, I wasn't really cut out for this. "I'll make it up to you. Just...just don't cry."

She looked at me, a tear fell into her left eye. Mas lalo akong nakaramdam ng guilt. "Really?"

Binitawan ko na siya. I took a step backward. Tumikhim ako. "Um, yes."

Nagbago bigla ang expression niya. Napailing ako mentally. Mukhang alam ko na ang sasabihin nito.

"There is this one bar in town na hindi ko pa napupuntahan. I wonder if you can..." She trailed off, then threw an innocent smile. "Come with me?"

Tinitigan ko siya. Ano pa nga ba ang magagawa ko? I sighed. "Fine. Ngayon lang ito, okay?"

"Yes!" She raised her fist in victory then kissed her knuckles afterwards. She looked at me with a triumphant smile. "I love you, Best!"

Napaiwas ako ng tingin. "Yeah."

Bumalik ako sa table ko habang siya ay nagsisimula nang mag-victory dance. Naisahan ako, ah. Napapailing na bumalik na lang ulit ako sa pagbabasa.

"Sulli."

"Hm ─" I was surprised when she suddenly pecked me on the lips. Pinandilatan ko siya ng mata. "Vanessa!"

"What?" She laughed and smiled innocently. "Come on, Best! Smack lang 'yon!"

Hindi naman 'yon ang problema. "But..."