zero - before

YEAR 2013, MONTH OF OCTOBER

"Wait, what? Ew! You can't do that!"

Dean Hefner chuckled at Sofia's remark and took her glasses off slowly, wiping the smudgy lenses with the sleeve of her cardigan before putting the spectacles back over her eyes. "Listen, Miss Adams...I know you like to think that you're a 'special student', or that your family's money can bend the rules for you,"

Sofia crossed her arms and tightened her jaw as Dean Hefner continued. "But I'm going to break your fairytale now and tell you that the rules applied to everyone are the same for everyone. There is no 'special treatment' for any student, and your father can't bribe me." She asserted. "You and your little friends did what you thought would be un-punishable, but that was your mistake, and now you and your friends serve the consequences."

"Okay, I'm going to stop you there because I'm hearing a lot of crap right now and my ears can't handle it." Sofia interjected, earning a disbelief stare from Dean Hefner and a raise of her eyebrow. "First of all, they're not my 'little friends', they're my sisters. We're from Delta Phi sorority, and I'm sorry your thousand year-old mind can't remember that. Second of all, we didn't do anything that harmed anyone; therefore, a punishment is exaggeration."

Dean Hefner pursed her lip and squinted at Sofia impatiently. "I'm going to be honest with you, Miss Adams. I hate the Delta Phi sorority and I hate everyone a part of it, especially you," Sofia scoffed; she happened to be the president of Delta Phi. "The reason why I haven't taken down that helluva sorority is because I don't want some piss babies barging into my office and bugging me about it. So before I actually lose my patience and do it, I suggest you stop interrupting me and listen."

Sofia rolled her eyes and straightened her back, averting her full attention to Dean Hefner. "Good." Dean Hefner said and grinned in dominance. "What you and your sisters did was unacceptable, and even though you didn't harm anybody, you could have. Plus, there are a lot of angry girls that you still need to apologize to.

"So starting tomorrow, you and the rest of your petty sorority can find yourselves in the cafeteria at the end of the day, washing dishes. You will be doing this for the next three months, no exceptions."

"Come on, Dean Hefner. I get that blowing a stink bomb in the girl's dormitory building in the middle of the night is wrong, but three months washing dishes with a bunch of old cafeteria ladies? That's, like, child abuse!" Sofia whined, stomping her heels on the floor, a frown on her forehead.

Dean Hefner folded her fingers together and rested her intertwined hands on her wooden desk. "Oh, you don't have to wash the dishes with old cafeteria ladies, Sofia - it's your choice. But if you don't, you will be taken out of Delta Phi."

"But...I'm the president! They need me there; the Delta Phi house won't be the same without me!"

"Then I suggest you and your sisters start fitting on your washing gloves." Dean Hefner sneered, knowing that she had won the argument.

As Sofia stood up from the chair across Dean Hefner's desk and gathered her purse, she used all her inner strength to suppress a whine yearning to leave her shut lips, knowing that once she peeps out a complaint (that may include curse words), she could be removed from her sorority.

Before she left the office, Sofia turned back to Dean Hefner and asked, "Before I go, may I ask, how did you know it was us? We made sure to keep our faces hidden from the cameras."

"Those Kappa Omega guys are angels. They informed me that they saw Delta Phi sneaking into the dormitory with bags." Dean Hefner replied and Sofia's jaw nearly dropped open, but she hid her infuriated emotion behind a forced smile.