Chapter 31

"Elizabeth, I..." Tom started, prodding his girlfriend's arm gently as Professor Slughorn told them to write an essay, "I had a dream about you."

Elizabeth's eyes widened. She thought to herself that it couldn't be. If Tom had seen what she had in her nightmares, he'd leave her for sure.

"W-what happened?" Elizabeth choked out nervously, her eyes trained to her paper.

"You weren't good," Tom replied simply, scribbling down a few more sentences of his essay before slamming his quill down on his paper.

Elizabeth contemplated whether to tell Tom she'd seen the exact same things. Breathing in sharply, she said, "I had the same dream."

"You realise we can't let this happen," Tom told her as he watched the way her hand moved elegantly as she wrote, "I won't let it happen."

"Neither will I," Elizabeth grinned cheesily, her hand falling softly on top of his as she looked him in the eyes. Blue eyes met brown and it was like a chemical reaction; the products made were the butterflies in each of their abdomens.

The class was soon over and Elizabeth and Tom handed in their perfectly written, completed essays. Slughorn gave them a look of pride.

"You two are invited to the party tonight," he cheered, chubby arms connecting with his stomach as he clapped his clammy hands together.

"It's always our pleasure," Tom told him with his delighted student façade, "What is the occasion, sir?"

"Why, Tom, m'boy, who said there had to be an occasion?" Slughorn hollered, bursting into a short fit of laughter. The classroom was rid of all students except the couple in front of him.

Tom's instant frown was replaced with a reserved smile. Elizabeth cut into the conversation, "We'll see you then, Professor."

Elizabeth grabbed Tom's hand harshly and pulled him out of the classroom. It was their lunch period but instead of leading him to the Great Hall, she took him to the Slytherin common room. She turned to him, her muddy brown eyes settling on his pink lips for a second before flicking them back up to meet his amused azure eyes.

"Is there something you want, Elizabeth?" Tom purred tantalisingly. He moved closer to her, his lips so dangerously close to Elizabeth's that she could feel his breath brushing against her mouth and jaw. She shivered under his touch and his fiery gaze.

"No," Elizabeth replied confidently, pressing her fingertips against his shoulders in an attempt to push him backwards. Tom wouldn't budge. He was giving Elizabeth an expectant stare, so she stood on her tiptoes and swept her mouth against his bottom lip. Tom's cheeks were ablaze. She asked, "Is there something you want, Tom?"

"Yes," he responded as he pulled her close to his body, embracing her, "There's many things I want of you, Elizabeth. Unimaginable desires. Yet I continue to hold myself back for you."

Elizabeth frowned at him. He watched the way her swollen lips parted as she spoke, "Care to explain these desires?"

Tom chuckled, his voice husky next to her ear. "Maybe another time," he told her, "But there is something I wouldn't like. That future we both saw - I do not want that to happen under any circumstances."

"It won't," Elizabeth reassured him then quickly added, "As long as you are empty of those monstrous thoughts and the urge to kill."

Tom pondered on his next words for a moment, his eyelashes fluttering against his cheeks as he looked down then back up at Elizabeth, "I am."