Outside The Lines {8}

“I’m straight,” I told my reflection sternly.

                “Theo, you’re jealous of a guy trying to get with your sister instead of you,” my reflection said.

                “Shut up Theo!” I said angrily.

                “You’re not into Dimitri!” my reflection snapped.

                “I’m having a conversation with myself,” I said, turning away from my mirror and banging my head against my dresser.

                There was a knock on my door and then my mom was letting herself in. “Theo, are you talking to yourself?” she asked curiously.

                “Yes. And I’m pissing me off,” I grumbled.

                “Well, alright then. What do you want for dinner?”

                “Nothing. I want to starve to death. My life sucks,” I said, banging my head against my dresser again.

                “Theo, don’t do that. You already have enough brain damage,” mom said with a sigh.

                “Whatever. Just make anything. Where’s Thalia? It’s already four,” I said, glancing over at my clock.

                “She’s on her way home. She just texted me,” mom said.

                “I bet Dimitri is going to lock her in the trunk, bring her home, and do bad things to her. You really need to stop letting Thalia ride with him,” I said.

                “Theo, why do you hate Dimitri so much? Yes, he was outrageously dressed and extremely flamboyant. But he seemed like a nice kid,” she said.

                I ruffled my hair in frustration. “I don’t know why I hate him so much!” I said at last, my voice bitter. “I just do! There’s something about the guy that I absolutely hate.”

                “You know, I absolutely hated your father when we were kids. I didn’t have a reason. Well, I mean, he comes as mean sometimes. But I just hated him. And now I’m married and have two children with him,” she said, sitting on my bed and watching me.

                “Are you saying I’m going to marry Dimitri and have two wonderful children with him?”

                “Well, I didn’t say wonderful.”

                “Mother!”

                She chuckled. “All I’m saying, Theo, is that when you hate someone like that without a reason, sometimes it’s because you can’t come to terms with the fact that those strong feelings aren’t actually hate,” she said with a shrug.

                “I’m not gay!” I said in annoyance.

                Mom shrugged again. “Maybe you are, Theo. Maybe you’re attracted to both genders. Or maybe you’re just attracted to Dimitri.”

                My face heated up. “Mom! Stop it! I’m straight,” I cried.

                “Just don’t rule out the possibility. I know you Theo. You’re moody, sarcastic, and rude. But you’re not the kind of guy who just randomly hates people like this,” she said, standing up.