Chapter 49

I feel like crying, one more chapter after this and it's over.

*****
Chapter 49

*Play 'Little do you know' by Alex and Sierra for a more dramaric effect. ;)

I was crying when I finally finished the letter then frantically looked out of the window. I saw a lone figure staggering towards the gates.

Dad.

I quickly ran out of the room and down the stairs as tears stream out of my eyes.

You can't leave me. Please don't. You've gone through enough suffering. You've done enough to atone for your sins. You deserve happiness so please stop taking another step. . .another step away from me.

"Dad! Dad! Stop!!" I screamed as I ran towards him.

He continued walking as if he had not heard me.

"Dad!!"

He stopped but didn't turn around. I finally caught him and hugged him from his back. He tensed but slowly put his hands over mine.

"Don't leave me, please," I pleaded as tears fell from my eyes.

"My princess, I don't deserve this. I don't deserve you." His voice was pained and I felt one of his tears drop on the back of my hand.

"I know how you feel dad. You feel so guilty you beat yourself and think that you don't deserve happiness. But this has got to stop. You've risked your life many times for me. You took care of me like your own child. You loved me."

"My sins are unforgivable. I deserve to be in hell. I've done my job. You have a new family now. You don't need me anymore."

"Dad you're my family, please don't kill me by saying that you're not and thus leave me. You're breaking my heart." I gripped harder on his torso, so afraid that if I let go he'd leave.

"No my darling. I need to leave. You have to let me go or I'll die."

"You're going to kill yourself either way!"

His silence proved that I was right and it tore my heart to pieces to know this.

"Why? Why do you have to constantly hurt yourself? Haven't you had enough pain? Haven't you had enough loss? If you loved my parents as much as I did and if losing them had felt like you're dying, then how about me? Do you really want to lose me too?" My voice cracked, I was so desperate, I'd do anything for him to stay by my side. I can't lose him. He's my only parent alive. Losing him would be like taking half of my heart away from me. He can't hurt me like this otherwise I won't be able to live.

"You can't forgive me Clarianne. I'm not worth it. I'm not worth your care. I'm not worth your trust. I'm not worth your love. I've killed many people and that includes your wonderful parents. How could you forgive me? This is unacceptable."

"If you can't forgive yourself, then who can? Dad, I don't care what happened in the past. You're the only father and mother that I know, please don't leave me. I love you dad, so much" I pleaded hoarsely.

He slowly disentangled my hands and I panicked. No he can't leave me! No!

But to my surprise, he faced me and pulled me in an embrace.

"I love you so fucking much too darling. You mean the world to me. I'd do anything to make you happy." Tears flowed from his beautiful eyes as he held my face.

"Dad. . .dad." We both cried in each other's arms remembering our loved ones whom we've lost.

In that moment I realized what my dad had done. He had cunningly conjured a plan to result me as the hero who saved the day when in fact he was the one making it happen all along.

"Why are you making me take all the credits? I know what you've done. You made me the hero when you were behind all of it." I asked him and he looked down at me gently.

He caressed my cheek and kissed my forehead. "What are you talking about darling? You've done it all by yourself. You not only saved your friends. You also saved me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart."

I closed my eyes then tip-toed and kissed him on the cheek. "No dad, thank you for being the best dad in the world."