Chapter Six: Family Ties Part II

"You're going with Damon to the Founder's Party?" Bonnie frowned as she took a sip of her ice tea. She had meet Caroline for lunch when Caroline had surprised her with the news. "You said we were going together, what about me?"

Caroline shrugged as she looked at her menu. "Go with Elena and Holly."

"I can't. Elena asked Stefan and he said yes."

Caroline gave an irritated sigh. "Then go with Holly. Maybe she'll tell you why she's been acting so weird. Or better yet, maybe since you're a witch you can perform an exorcism."

Bonnie frowned as she put down her ice tea. "Caroline, that's not nice. We've known Holly since we were kids, she was with you when your parents got divorced we should be there for her. Elena and Holly aren't still used to everything."

"But it's been months since her parents died, she should have gotten over it by now." Caroline replied. "Besides she spend her summer in Denver, how much more time does she need to grieve? And don't give me the innocent act, Bonnie you've noticed how weird she's been acting ever since she came back."

Bonnie squirmed in her chair. "Maybe a little."

"Oh, please. Holly has been so secretive, and moody, and just plain weird," she replied. "It's like she doesn't even try, she just brushes people off. I'm serious Elena and Holly may be twins, but they are nothing alike. Speaking of the devil."

Bonnie looked over her shoulder and saw Holly entering the Grill with a nervous expression. Bonnie raised her hand. "Holly, over here."

Holly walked towards them, trying to get her heart to relax. The voices inside her head had stopped talking, but she was still a little on edge. Holly was surprised that she had made it as far as the Grill. She remembered briefly meeting Damon, but she couldn't exactly pinpoint what she had said to him. Her smile wobbled. "Hi, guys."

"We're just having lunch," Caroline said chirpily as she handed her a menu. "Want to join us?"

Holly felt her stomach flip. "I'm not sure-"

"Sit down," Caroline instructed pointing to the chair. "Besides we haven't had time to girl talk."

"Ok. What are you guys talking about?"

"Founder's Day," Bonnie grinned at Holly. "Caroline is bragging that Damon, the dangerous Salvatore is taking her to the Founder's party tomorrow. You're going right?"

Holly nodded as she frowned at Caroline. "Really? Damon is taking you? I ran into him just now, but he didn't say anything."

"He probably doesn't want to brag," Caroline smirked as she looked at Bonnie. "And he's not dangerous, he just has lots of issues with his brother, like major drama."

Holly looked curious. "Like what?"

"I'm not supposed to say."

Bonnie slammed her palm on the table. "Caroline Forbes, when have you've kept a secret in your life?"

After a while Caroline bit her lip. "Ok, here it is. But neither of you can tell, Elena."

Stefan quickly locked the basement door when he heard the front door open. He tried to appear casual, Damon couldn't know that their uncle Zach, had been growing vervain in their basement and that Stefan was planning on using it on him.

There was no sarcastic comment this time from Damon, which made Stefan worry. "Is something wrong?"

Damon ignored his question. "You write a lot in your fancy diaries, don't you?"

"Yes, what's the problem?"

Damon didn't speak for a moment before he said. "Does insanity run in the Gilbert family by any chance?" Stefan frowned. "I ran into Holly today and before you start hyperventaling I didn't lay a hand on her. But she seemed off."

"Off?" he replied. "Off how?"

Damon had a hard time explaining. "She was acting all crazy and paranoid as if someone was coming after her. She kept mumbling to herself and she said that she didn't want to be in Mystic Falls. I don't think that she even knew who she was talking too for a while. Just try to get answers out of Elena, will you?"

Holly looked at herself in the mirror the night of the Founder's Party, she had chosen a simple white dress with purple pumps. She had just been putting on her silver necklace that her mom had given her for her fifteenth birthday, when Elena came in fully dressed. "You look great," she smiled. "Want me to do your hair?"

She nodded as she followed Elena to the bathroom. She started braiding it, Holly couldn't help but notice how happy Elena was. She was sure that Stefan was the one making her so happy. She had promised Caroline that she wouldn't say anything, but Elena was her sister she deserved to know. "I had lunch with Caroline yesterday, she's going to the party with Damon."

"Really? Caroline doesn't seem like Damon's type." Elena replied. "Speaking of which Tyler came to get some stuff for Mrs. Lockwood today. It seems Jeremy and him are fighting over Vicki."

Holly nodded. "Did you know that Stefan has an interesting backstory? With a girl named Katherine?"

Holly felt Elena stiffen. "Yes, Stefan mentioned her. It seems they both dated her and have issues."

"Well apparently Stefan didn't tell you the whole story. Apparently, Katherine choose Damon and that drove Stefan mad and he turned Katherine against Damon. I just wanted you to know you're my sister and I don't want you to get hurt."

Elena squeezed her shoulder gently. "I trust, Stefan. It seems everything you told me it's from Damon's point of view. I can trust Stefan."

Holly remembered her visions. "Can you?"

"How do I look?" Damon asked Stefan who was serving himself a drink. "Fancy?"

"Why are you even going?"

Damon shrugged. "It's only fair, we were at the very first one don't you remember?" he sighed. "And stop looking at me like I ran over a kitten, I'll be on my best behavior. I won't even talk to you that way you can have your perfect dream of pretending to be human with Elena while I'll make sure that the other Gilbert twin doesn't hurl herself off a bridge."

Stefan put down his glass. "About that, I've done some research apparently a Samantha Gilbert was put in an insane asylum in 1922. But insanity is not heredity."

Damon only looked confused by this piece of information. Something was wrong with Holly, but he didn't know what, which only seemed to confuse him even more and he guessed that Holly herself wasn't having a picnic. "Well, that only raises more questions than answers."

"Wear the gold earrings," Holly said as she pointed towards the dangling pair of earrings that Elena was holding. "They will match your dress."

The phone rang and Elena answered it, she sounded confused. "Mrs. Lockwood . . . yes, the watch is there . . . I saw it . . . let me check . . . yes, I'll bring it to the party. Good night." Elena hang up and stormed towards Jeremy's bedroom. Holly followed her.

Elena pulled off his headphones. "The pocket watch where is it? I know you took it, Mrs. Lockwood is freaking out because she thinks she lost it."

"Maybe she did." Jeremy shot back. "Maybe Tyler took it."

Elena growled. "Don't act innocent. I saw you looking at it. Were your planning on selling it? Is that how you pay for your pot?"

"Elena." Holly reprimanded her. "If Jeremy says he didn't take it-"

"No, its ok, Holly." Jeremy threw the watch towards Elena. "The watch belongs to me, it's been passed down to Gilbert sons for generations. The watch belongs to me, just like Great Aunt Mary's diamond ring belongs to Holly and great grandma Elizabeth's sapphire earrings belong to you."

"Jeremy it's still yours." Holly tried to convince him. "Well, bring it tonight I promise."

Jeremy looked annoyed as he turned back to his computer. "Just take it Hol, and leave me alone I'm doing homework."