Chapter 18

It was finally Friday and Penelope just arrived by my house.

I didn't bother saying goodbye because the house was empty anyway. Monic was staying in the warehouse along with Jake while Adam was busy, taking care of his mother.

I grabbed the house keys and my purse before stepping out of the house and slipped on some flats.

I don't care who you are, ask me to wear goddamn heels and I will decapitate you on the spot.

You ain't my friend if you're rooting for me to break my neck.

I was dressed in an off shoulder  white crop top and a high waisted short jeans that shows enough skin to not make me feel exposed and slutty.

I strolled towards the pink beetle that Penelope drove and slipped into the passenger seat.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," I breathed out as I placed my purse on my lap and folded my hand to keep them from fidgeting.

"It's fine," Penelope chirped, casting me a cheery smile before stepping on the pedal and drove off to her house.

I realized then that she looked ready to go to the party with make up on and hair done.

The second we reached her house, Penelope rushed me into her bedroom and sat me on the dresser as she took out all her makeup products and started on my eyes.

Before the mascara wand can touch me, I started praying for my life because let's just say, I do not have a good experience with those sticks.

Dear God, if you're listening right now. Please don't let that God forsaken stick damage my eyes. Amen.

"Open your eyes, I promise I won't poke your eye." I didn't even realize I shut them but I immediately followed her orders and looked into the mirror and watched in wariness as she started working on my lashes.

The mascara was the last touch and I scrutinized my reflection as I gazed into the mirror with disguised horror.

Fuck. I'm a painted whore.

I won't say the girl I'm looking at in the mirror doesn't look anything like me because that's bullshit because my button nose is as evident as the freaking sun but I'm glad nothing changed about it, it's like a root that reminds me of who I am when my face is caked up.

Penelope managed to work on my cheekbones and they look more prominent now, thanks to the blush on and she added an extra inch on my eyebrows with her pencil, shaping it up a bit and making it thicker.

The shade of the eyeshadow she put on me was light and it gave off a natural look.

I was grateful for the help, I wouldn't have been able to do it on my own even if my neck was on the line.

"Thanks, Penny." I offered a smile through the mirror and she gave me a similar one.

"That's what friends are for, no?" We joked around a bit before deciding it was time to go.

"Okay, let's get going, we won't get any younger." She ushered both of us to the car and we drove off to the party.

------------

It was crowded. So so crowded. Luckily, unlike all the other times that I went to these kind of parties, I have Penelope who was practically glued to my hip - or was it vice versa?- the entire time. I gotta admit, having a friend feels great.

She introduced me to a few of her friends that went to other schools and seeing someone other than the assholes that bullied me in my school was refreshing and I greeted them with a smile.