Chapter Seven

Dedicated to: wires_ for the beautiful artwork on the side! Thanks! :) 

            There's nothing better than seventh period on a Friday.  This week is pretty much one from Hell, and I've never been happier to see it end.  If  the rest of the year passes anything like this, I'm never going to make it.  Math class is already dreadful and pretty much consists of me doing Cassi's homework while she blabs about Elliot to Jenna.  By the time lunch comes around, I'm grumpy and not really in the mood for Sarah and Keely's incessant chatter.  Literally the only class in my schedule that I can bear is anatomy and physiology. 

            For the most part, that's because it's the last course of the day and I can finally start counting down the minutes until freedom.  But a small, teensy bit may have to do with the fact that a certain British boy sits a few rows away.  Passing time is much easier when I have someone to focus on, especially when that someone is as cute as Elliot Parker. 

            We haven't talked much, just the usual exchanged greetings.  Our teacher is a complete stickler when it comes to the seating chart, which at the moment is organized in alphabetical order.  Unfortunately, there are quite a few last names between Delson and Parker.  Mrs. Grenson plans to change the seating as soon as she learns all of our names, but who knows how long that could take.  She's old and frail and kinda looks like the type that can barely remember her own name, let alone others'.

            I stare at her, not really listening to whatever she's saying.  When the bell suddenly rings, I nearly have a heart attack.  I snatch my sprawled notes and start cramming everything into my backpack.  It's the same worn-out backpack I've been using for three years, but it still works just fine. 

            "Hey Finn," Elliot suddenly appears before my desk.  It's the first time he's ever stopped to talk to me after class.  Usually, he's one of the first ones out of here.

            "Oh hi, Elliot."  I try to keep my voice neutral, but I notice it hitches slightly.  A few girls glare at me as they walk past.

            "You going to the party tonight?"  He asks, referring to the first team dinner.

            I can't help but laugh.  "It's at my house, Elliot.  Of course I'm going to be there."

            "Oh right."  His cheeks turn slightly pink, but he laughs.  "I guess I'll, uh, see you there."

            I nod.  Elliot flashes his customary smirk before jogging to catch up with some of his friends.  The kid's only been here for a week, but somehow he's already high-up on the totem pole.  But I mean, how can you not be adored by everyone when you're that attractive and have a ridiculously hot accent.  British, no less.

            My conversation with Elliot leaves me grinning all the way to my car.  I know it wasn't that impressive of a conversation, but it's a start, right?  I'm tired of listening to Cassi brag about her amazingly flirty talks with Elliot every day in their classes together, while I've only said hello to him.  Now, I can at least say Elliot and I have talked.  Even if it was only a thirty-second conversation about a team dinner.

            Once I get home, I start setting up for the dinner.  Cassi's over at Jenna's house, "prepping" for her big night, whatever the hell that means.  They're planning some fun games or something, which is fine by mean.  If they were here, they'd probably just get in the way.

            After I clean up the main floor and basement, I set out the paper plates and cups and silverware.  Then, I start making the main course.  Team dinners are kind of a pot-luck thing, where the hosting house makes the main food and everyone else brings chips or soda or cookies.  Stuff like that.  Because I'm a terrible cook, I settle for the cliché pasta dish.  I'm not really sure how much pasta is needed for thirty kids, so I just use every package of noodle we have.