I'll Remember

CHAPTER 32: I'LL REMEMBER

The Salvatore Boarding House

Death was always fascinating to Natalie Saltzman. Not something she looked forward to, but it was something that had plagued her mind for years. She had been surrounded by the stench of death since before she was born. Maybe her previous meets with death allowed her mind to be clouded with the subconscious reminder of its power.

She had met her infamous fear of death more times than anyone could ever imagine, and had somehow always gotten through it. But during those deaths, she had time to think, especially during the last one, which had been four months of only seeing the same two people, and missing everyone else.

She had come to the conclusion that most people think about how the living loses the dead, but nobody ever thinks about how the dead loses the living.

Thankfully, even if she had lost almost everyone she had ever loved during all three of her too short lifetimes, she still had two people to hang onto. Damon Salvatore and Bonnie Bennett had been loved by her for years, but when it had only been the three of them, they had gained a special place in her heart. 

Sadly, they weren't all too fond of each other yet. They had definititely improved their relationship, but said relationship mostly consisted of fighting and yelling at one another and then try to be the first one to run to Natalie and get her support. Sometimes it was hard to remember that she was techincally the youngest of the three (Damon having a good 150 years on her, whilst Bonnie had about four months). 

Natalie took a sip of her third cup of coffee that morning, watching as Damon had to get started on another batch because she drank it so quickly. She needed a lot of caffeine because she had little to no sleep most nights, because she still slept in the same room she did when she was alive. The stupid thing was that it was also the room of the love of her life, Stefan Salvatore.

Ah, Stefan Salvatore. The sound of his name would sometimes cause her to leave a room, because she was terrified of how he was reacting back home, because she was really hoping that it wasn't as bad as when she first stepped into his room, smelling his smell. Ever since then, she had been surrounded by his smell seeing as she refused to wear anything but Stefan's clothes, which was filled with a lot of flannel. 

She took a glance over at Bonnie, who had just gotten a plate of pancakes thrown in front of her face, the same kind that Damon had given Natalie a few seconds before. He drew on a pair of fangs with cream and snickered. The dead ex-witch sent him a look. "Every day I tell you I hate that."

"And every day I do it anyway," he responded, sounding smug at how he was able to keep being an asshole to one of the only people he could be an asshole to anymore and it still wasn't getting old.

Natalie took another big sip before speaking dryly, not even meeting the eyes of the person she was insulting or the person she was insulting him to. "What do you expect? He's a dick."

He couldn't help but smirk before pouring Natalie some more coffee as he noticed she was about to run out, again. "Bon appetit."

▹▹▹

A/N: Welcome into the heartbreaking mess that is season 6. You're gonna love how much you hate it. I'm really excited and I definitely hope I will make you feel much emotion. 

And I've noticed how Stefan and Natalie never spend their summers together. 
Summer 1: Stefan is with Klaus and trying to turn hybrids and killing people.
Summer 2: Stefan is trapped in a safe underwater all summer.
Summer 3: Natalie is in the prison world and Stefan is being a huge dick.

Votes and comments are greatly appreciated.