Chapter 10

A/N: updated as of 5/28/2020

"What was that about?" I say breathlessly, catching up with Rachel and Declan in the hallway. They're both blushing furiously and refuse to make eye contact with each other.

"Care to explain?" I hedge when neither of them answer me.

Declan shrugs. "Mr. Fletcher was really pervy and I didn't want him to hit on Rachel, that's it."

"And I just wanted to make him mad because he's so creepy," Rachel adds. We turn the corner into the maths wing and head for the calculus class Rachel and I have in Senior Row. The department is almost deserted, as barely any seniors show up for the last week of school even though they're technically required to. The whitewashed walls give the wing a sterile, no-nonsense look that I see as drab but the teachers consider practical.

The class period passes quickly. Rachel and Declan go back to their normal banter, but they still seem a bit awkward around each other. Our teacher stays seated at his desk and ignores us, even going so far as to ignore the kids in the corner who are trying to summon a minor demon. Declan finds it amusing, but I'm mildly worried that it's going to work and the demon will drag us all down to hell.

When the class period—and seemingly unsuccessful summoning—is over, the three of us rush out to my car and head straight to the theatre. "What snacks are you buying us?" Rachel asks me as we buy tickets.

"What? No, I'm not buying you any snacks," I say indignantly. "I paid for the last five times. It should be Declan's turn by now."

"Um, no," Declan says, looking slightly offended. "You both have more money than I do."

"Says Mr. Trust Fund," I snort. Declan looks wounded. "Do rock paper scissors with Rachel," I suggest, remembering the last time I played the game.

They play three rounds in the theatre lobby, and Declan winds up the loser. Rachel cheers and pokes him repeatedly until he good-naturedly threatens to make her walk home.

"It's my car. How are you going to do that?" I ask, amused. Declan shrugs, and motions for us to order our snacks. I decide to get a box of Junior Mints and a soda, while Rachel goes slightly overboard and orders a large popcorn, Sour Patch Kids, nachos, and a soda.

"That'll be thirty-eight dollars and twenty-seven cents," the clerk says to Declan, batting her eyelashes at him. He hands her a fifty and is oblivious to her obvious flirtation. She hands Rachel and I our snacks and presses the change into Declan's hand with another eyelash-flutter and lets her hand linger on his.

"Back the fuck up," Rachel orders the clerk, putting an arm around Declan possessively. "That's my boyfriend." She turns and kisses Declan passionately for the second time today. When they break apart, Rachel shoots a smug smile at the embarrassed clerk and we walk together towards the theatre.

"Thanks," Declan mumbles. "I didn't even notice anything."

"I could tell," Rachel says dryly. Thankfully, the silence isn't as awkward as it was after the whole Fletcher Incident. We stroll leisurely to a theater in the back of the building, admiring posters and each other's company.

The previews and commercials are still playing when we enter the theatre. Declan leads us through the left aisle and up the stairs, tiptoeing so as not to draw attention to ourselves. The theatre is packed with moviegoers, which is strange because Man From U.N.C.L.E premiered almost a month and a half ago.

"Why are so many people here?" Rachel hisses in my ear from her spot right on my heels. I shrug and scour the room for three vacant seats next to each other, but as that's not available, Declan leads us to two empty seats.