Chapter 2

I spent the rest of the day feeling guilty about ditching Corey like that. I hadn't been able to eat the sandwich he bought me; I had thrown in out in a trashcan by my locker. 

It wasn't fair, the hold that Kennedy held over me. I didn't want things to be like that, but I was so sick of the way people treated me. Why didn't they like me? I was nice, while Kennedy was just downright awful. 

The rest of my lunch period was spent in the bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror. I wanted to see what was so godawful about me that people disliked me so much. 

All I saw was a round face, with brown eyes and brown hair. I didn't see anything that made me extraordinarily ugly, though I certainly wasn't "model standards" of pretty. 

But since when was ugliness a reason to hate somebody? Or weight? I was still a nice person. I was involved in school, friendly to everybody I met, and still, people were cruel to me. It wasn't fair.

The day dragged on, with people either aiming snide comments at me or ignoring me, though I definitely preferred the latter of the two. I'd rather be a nobody than someone who was constantly picked at.

When the final bell finally rang, relief flooded me. Friday. I could go home, relax, and try to forget about all of this. It could be like this week never happened. Since it was coming up on the end of the year, I would soon have the entire summer away from these people. That's what I needed. A break. I'd surely go mad if I couldn't get that.

To my surprise though, when I finally got to my locker, Corey was leaning up against it, that cheshire cat grin spread across his face.

"You ready to go?" he asked, standing up straight when he saw me.

Oh crap. How was I going to get out of this? Kennedy would be at the mall, surely. And if she saw me with Corey, she would flip out.

A sudden thought popped into my mind though. Who was she to tell me who I could and couldn't hang out with? I mean, she wasn't exactly the best of friends to me, so why did her opinion matter?

I was sitting here, feeling sorry for myself and hating Kennedy more and more every day for how she treated me, yet I never did anything to stop it.

"Yeah. I'm ready. I just have to stop at my house and change." I found myself telling Corey.

It was time for a change in how my life went. I couldn't let Kennedy stomp around and ruin everything for me.