Prologue: 7 weeks ago

“Alright, and I’m finished.” I said brightly as I turned the girl’s chair around so she can look at herself in the mirror.

When she saw herself, she stood up in awl and looked at herself like she never seen herself before. She touched her hair and smile jumping up and down in excitement.

“Oh my lord, thank you so much Courtney! I look flawless.” She said still looking at herself.

I nod my head and was happy to know she liked her new hair style. She came in here with her hair looking like a bird’s nest. I dyed, washed; blow dried and trimmed her hair, making her look like a million dollars. She turned around and gave me a big hug.

“I knew you could fix me up. That’s why I always come to you.”

“You’re welcome Roxie, no need for all that.”

She smiled and paid me for doing her hair, leaving me a $10 dollar tip. Customers have been coming in here all day. Not once have I had a break. But I’m not complaining. The tips people are leaving me should last me a whole week, maybe even more. After finishing up my last girl, I cleaned up my station and clocked out saying goodbye to my boss.

“Have a good night, dear.” Mrs. Jefferson said.

I smiled and waved just as I got to the door.

“You too, see you next week.”

My friend is getting married in a couple of days and she has invited me to go to the Bahamas with her and be her maid of honor. I’m so excited that out of all people, she has picked me to be her maid of honor. But I’m also happy about the fact that I get to go to the Bahamas and have some vacation time from work. I love my work don’t get me wrong, but I would like a breather or two away.

The minute I got home I started to pack everything I was going to need. Tomorrow morning I’m leaving and won’t be back for a whole week straight. As I was going through my dresser to find some shorts, my phone started to ring. I saw it was my mother and answered it right away.

“Hola mamita.” My mother said cheerfully, as soon as I answered.

“Sí mamá?” (Yes mom?) I said with a groan because I can’t find my leopard shorts.

My mother really doesn’t understand English so I have to talk to her in Spanish.

“¿A qué hora te vas mañana?” (what time are you leaving tomorrow?) She asked.

“8 de la mañana, ¿por qué?” (8 in the morning, why?)

“Nada. pero ser bueno y mamá te quiere. ¡Vuelve pronto! mwah!” (Nothing. but be good and mommy loves you. Come back soon! mwah!) She said before she hung up.