CHAPTER SEVENTY-ONE

On the first of April, Fred woke with a smile on his face, one because it was his birthday, along with George, where the two of them were finally of age in the Wizarding World, and two, their birthday had fallen on a Saturday, which meant they did...

On the first of April, Fred woke with a smile on his face, one because it was his birthday, along with George, where the two of them were finally of age in the Wizarding World, and two, their birthday had fallen on a Saturday, which meant they didn't have to suffer through classes. Especially on their favourite holiday. There had also been the promise of gifts, settled at the end of his bed, which had been a good motivator to wake up.

Among one of the gifts, was the traditional pocket watch that many wizards were gifted when they turned seventeen years old. Fred never asked the significance of the watches, but nonetheless, it was the first gift he had opened that morning addressed to him from his parents. Opening it, the watch appeared to be a hand-me-down, silver in cover but covered in scratches over the front and back. He pulled it out by the chain and held it up, only to see the smallest carvings of F.P carved into it. And immediately, he knew who the watch had originally belonged to.

It wasn't a secret, but it was a topic that was usually tiptoed around within the Weasley household, and that was the discussion of their mother's older brothers, Fabian and Gideon Prewett. They had been killed during the Wizarding War, which their father explained was something Molly never truly recovered from. Obviously, Fred and George's name were meant to pay homage to her late brothers, and sometimes, Fred felt like when Molly looked at them, she was expecting to see her brothers and perhaps that was why she held them to such high standards all the time.

When George opened his own watch a short while later, his watch had been engraved with G.P on it. They knew their mother had a box of belongings that had once belong to Fabian and Gideon, and whenever it came down to an important event, such as a birthday or making Head Boy in the family, she would pull an item out and gift it to one of her children. So while Fred didn't know the significance of the tradition, he knew how much it meant for his mother to gift him the pocket watch.

Knowing how strained their relationship had been over the summer, it meant a lot to Fred to receive something he knew was considered precious to her. In some ways, he figured it was her way of saying that even if they didn't see eye to eye all the time, and even if she tended to play favourites without noticing, the twins still meant a lot to her. And despite their disagreements, she would always be their mother.

Placing the watch carefully at the side of his bed, Fred pushed himself out of bed, ready to get started with the day. He already had plans to meet Eleanor in the Great Hall for breakfast, along with George because she claimed she had a gift for them. He had told her numerous times before that she didn't have to get him anything, mainly because when it came to giving Eleanor anything in return, Fred couldn't financially do the same. Perhaps that was why he had been so happy when they went back and forth with their flower trading. It didn't involve money, but the simple act of going outside and picking the flowers.

The act itself meant more to him than Eleanor probably imagined initially.

Once he had showered and gotten dress, Fred waited on George to finish getting ready himself before the two of them left for the Great Hall, and as expected, Eleanor was already waiting on them at the Gryffindor table. She appeared to be sharing her breakfast with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, talking over something until the four of them were approached.