Chapter 12

The ride to the pack house isn't long, maybe a 10-minute drive. I only have 10 minutes in order to prepare myself for all hell to break loose...

On one hand, I am very excited to see Marley. She has been my best friend for as long as we could shift. I wonder what her life was like while I was gone...

But on the other hand, I am very nervous to see the rest of my friends. I don't know how they'll react to me coming back. Will they welcome me with open arms, or will they resent me for those false rumors of infidelity. Sure they weren't the ones to create the rumors of me cheating, but did they believe them? Did they believe Ryder?

We soon pull up to the pack house, and Ryder turns off the car and glances at me, "You ready?"

"Nope, but as you said before, this is what I signed up for..." I say, unbuckling my seat belt and stepping out of the car.

Ryder helps Carter out, but he soon runs to me to hold my hand as we walk away from the car. We make our way up to the door and Ryder turns the door handle before I even have a chance to back out.

As soon as Ryder opens the door, everybody looks to see who it is. I instinctively stand behind Ryder, who hides mine and Carter's body completely.

"Ryder! We thought you wouldn't make it! Hurry up, I'm hungry!", a voice says, who I instantly recognize as Jacob, Ryder's beta.

Jacob walks up to Ryder and does that man-hug thing that every guy knows. I stiffen as he gets near, and don't breathe when I hear him smelling.

He looks behind Ryder and his eyes lock with mine.

"Kara? Is that really you?" He asks, his eyes going wide.

"Hey Jake, it's been a long time," I say with a small smile.

At first, he looks a little hesitant, but that looks quickly disappears and the face of joy replaces it. He runs up to me and engulfs me in a big hug, lifting my toes off the ground.

"I can't believe you're here! What are you doing here!" He says, stilling squeezing the life out of me.

"Um...Jake...can't...breathe..." I say, strained against his chest.

"Oh sorry," He says, putting me down. "But for real, what are you doing her-"

"Kara?" A feminine voice calls, and my heart suddenly jumps in my chest.

A girl with brown hair and deep brown eyes rushed toward the door and stops when she sees me, "Marley?" I say, tears already in my eyes.

"Kara!!" She yells excitedly as she pushes past Ryder and runs to hug me. I hug her back, "I missed you so much!" She says.

"I missed you too Marley," I say, a single tear falling from my eyes.

As soon as she lets me go, she becomes aware of the small boy holding my hand. She smiles at me before squatting down to be eye-level with Carter.

"Hi! I'm Aunty Marley, what's your name?" She asks with a big smile on her face.

"I'm Carter," He says with his shy voice.

"Well Carter, I have a little girl who has been waiting a long time for a playmate. Would you like to meet her?" She asks him.

Carter looks up at me with his big eyes, almost asking for permission. I give him a smile and a head-nod before he smiles at Marley, "Sure"

Marley stands up and grabs Carter's hand from mine as she leads him over to the backyard.

Justus and Colten, Ryder's Delta and Gamma also come up to me and give me a hug before turning back to Ryder.