CHAPTER SEVENTY-TWO

Since the start of the tournament, Eleanor already had her suspicions that something foul was afoot within the castle

Since the start of the tournament, Eleanor already had her suspicions that something foul was afoot within the castle. With Harry's name being pulled from the Goblet after he swore up and down that he did not submit his name, it was obvious that there was a greater plan in motion, one that involved putting Harry's life in danger. So far, Harry had been extremely lucky able to make it through the first two tasks of the tournament, but they only seemed to grow harder in difficulty, making Eleanor wonder what awaited him and Cedric for the Third Task?

However, her thoughts pertaining to the Third Task were tossed aside when Harry had found her one morning in the corridors and told her that he had been attacked by Mr Crouch while on the school grounds. It was one evening where the Triwizard Champions had been summoned by Ludo Bagman to discuss the mystery behind the Third Task. Cedric had later confirmed that it was a maze of sorts, paired with possible dangers lurking around every corner.

On the way back to the castle, Harry and Viktor had been walking along with Mr Crouch had suddenly stumbled out of the forest, looking like he had been to hell and back. He had started off telling Harry that he needed to speak with Dumbledore, stating that he had to warn Dumbledore of something, but every time Harry attempted to assist him Mr Crouch would hold onto him, pulling him back. Eventually, Harry did manage to break loose from Mr Crouch's grip, leaving him in Viktor's care before he ran off to find Professor Dumbledore.

Unfortunately, when he arrived at the castle, it was Professor Snape who found Harry first, only wasting time as he started to interrogate Harry in the corridors. Only when Dumbledore finally arrived was Harry able to explain the odd encounter outside, but by the time they had made their way back to where Harry had left Mr Crouch with Viktor, they were gone.

Upon closer inspection, Viktor was found a little way from where Harry had left them, unconscious on the forest ground, while Mr Crouch was nowhere to be seen. Within minutes, they learned that Viktor had been stunned and when he finally came to, he claimed that Mr Crouch attacked him shortly after Harry had gone to the castle for help. The situation only became more complicated as more and more people became involved, such as Professor Moody arriving on the scene, along with Hagrid and his dog, Fang.

Then when Headmaster Karkaroff had been notified that his prized student had been attacked, he started off accusing that they were being unfairly targeted and plotted against.

Since then, it was all Eleanor could think of as she tried to come up with her own theories pertaining to the events. She had agreed to meet up with Harry, Hermione, and Ron one morning in the Owlery to discuss it further, but something just wasn't adding up.

"It comes down to this," Hermione said as she rubbed her forehead. "Either Mr Crouch attacked Viktor, or somebody else attacked both of them when Viktor wasn't looking."

"It must've been Crouch," Ron replied quickly, "That's why he was gone when Harry and Dumbledore got there. He'd done a runner."

"I don't think so, "Harry said with a shake of his head. "He seemed really weak – I don't reckon he was up to Disapparating or anything.'