CHAPTER SEVENTY-FOUR

Caught up in the surprise of his mother and his oldest brother Bill showing up at the school, Fred hadn't noticed Eleanor's absence until the evening feast had come and gone with no sign of her

Caught up in the surprise of his mother and his oldest brother Bill showing up at the school, Fred hadn't noticed Eleanor's absence until the evening feast had come and gone with no sign of her. When he looked over in the direction of the Hufflepuff table, Cedric was sitting with his parents with Marnie close by, neither one of them seemed alarmed by Eleanor missing, having him believe they knew where she was. More than likely, she had probably decided on a nap after exams had finished, considering she had stressed herself to the maximum with studying, while also helping Cedric and Harry prepare for the third and final task.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Dumbledore's voice interrupted Fred's thoughts, "in five minutes' time, I will be asking you to make your way down to the Quidditch pitch for the third and last task of the Triwizard Tournament. Will the champions please follow Mr Bagman down to the stadium now."

Harry rose from the Gryffindor table, as did the other champions including Cedric, followed by the applause of all the students and faculty members gathered in the Great Hall. Once they were gone, Fred told George he would be right back before venturing over to the Hufflepuff table where Marnie was sitting. She seemed surprised that he approached her on his own, but judging by the way she looked around him, it seemed she was looking for Eleanor to appear at his side.

"Ellie's not with you?" she asked him before he could ask her. The answer was obvious, but Marnie was stating the same confusion that Fred felt at the moment.

"I was just about to ask you if you had seen her," he said, "I haven't seen her since this morning."

"I saw her just before the feast, we talked after her Arithmancy exam. I thought she looked a little pale, but it was probably just her thinking she did terrible on her exam when we all know she did just fine."

"Did she say anything then?"

"Not really," Marnie shook her head, "she gave me a pair of knitted socks to give to Cedric. She told me to make sure they got to him, something about keeping his feet dry. I guess she didn't anticipate showing up for dinner for some reason."

It was quiet for a moment and for the first time since getting to know Marnie somewhat, her usually hardened features softened to a worried look. She met Fred's gaze, turning her entire body to face him as she sat on the bench.

"You think something is wrong?" Marnie whispered to him. "I know she's been stressing like hell, and I guess Rita Skeeter's article didn't help put her in a better mindset."

"I know, but I don't think she would miss the Third Task, no matter how much it stresses her out," Fred pointed out, "she would want to be there for Harry and Cedric, no matter what."

"Yeah, you're right, for all we know she probably went to lie down until the task started to calm herself down. I should have thought about that, she's probably back at the dorms right now. Or made her way out to the stands to be there for Cedric and Harry."