XXII. Prior the Exchange

Marco finally managed to tear his mouth away from Khaye's before anything further they'd both regret happened. It took all his willpower to step back, his breathing as heavy as hers.

"Let's not make this any more complicated than it already is." His voice was almost a snarl. He was too busy regaining control over his urges.

Khaye had a confused look on his face and he groaned.

"Stop that," he snapped.

"Stop what?" she asked under her breath. Her eyes were glued to his.

"Looking at me like that."

She blinked. "You started it."

"Started what?"

"That...that kiss, of course."

He groaned again and closed his eyes. "As I said, let's not make this complicated—"

"Than it already is, I know," she finished for him. "But just so you know, Marco...it already is."

"Exactly my point." He opened his eyes and was surprised to see her walking away.

"Exactly. It already is complicated." She opened her bedroom door and added over her shoulder, "Your fucking logical restraints wouldn't change anything." Then the door slammed behind her, leaving Marco to gape in confusion and surprise. What the hell did she mean by that?

*****

Theo hated the woman's stubbornness. She wouldn't get out of her box and insisted that it was way more comfortable in there than his bed.

For a brief moment he considered cuffing her to the bedpost again but finally gave up the idea. She couldn't get away from the house without tripping the alarm and if she would ever be successful in doing so, she wouldn't be able to get far before he could catch up with her.

A big part of him nagged inside his head, telling him he was getting soft. Blind trust wouldn't do him good, he thought. But they had made a deal. She'd help him with his plans on Vernier and she could do whatever she wanted. He'd even let her go if she asked but there was no way he'd tell her that. What happened on the cruise was good enough proof to him that Desiree could be trusted. She could have betrayed him countless of times but she didn't.

He slowly sat up in bed and looked down at her sleeping in her fucking box. He'd have to do something about this sleeping arrangement.

*****

Khaye lay on her bed wide awake. She cursed Marco and his righteousness. Everything was going so well until he snapped back to his senses!

She tossed and turned, not able to get an ounce of sleep.

"Fuck it," she uttered, jumping off the bed. She padded to her door, swung it open and stormed to his room. She deliberately forgot to knock and pushed his door open. The darkness inside blinded her but there was enough light from the moon outside for her to see him jump off his bed in alarm. She was heaving with a lot of pent up emotions while she stood in the middle of his room with her hands on her hips. "Just so you know, I can very well take care of myself after this is all over. If you are thinking that having sex with me will make it complicated afterwards, then you are mistaken because I am not planning to hang on to you like a crybaby. I will definitely do such a thing if that is what you are afraid of because I will not want someone who doesn't want me back so fuck you and your—"

It only took him two steps to grab her face in both hands and claim her mouth, leaving the rest of her words unsaid. She felt his hunger and fed on that, finally relieved that she was successful, otherwise she would have made a complete fool of herself.