Chapter 2

I get asked a lot why it's called The Dealer's Daughter. Well, I thought it was catchy and matched the title of The Senator's Son. I don't love the title, but I'm going with it for now.

Emma's dad is an antiques dealer, hence the title.

Emma

As I finished up dinner, the guys hovered around the kitchen. I hadn't made anything too exciting, just pork chops with artichoke hearts and a celery root and potato gratin. I had a light salad to go with the meal. I insisted on working alone. Prepping food gave me comfort. I revelled in it. I could spend hours in the kitchen, playing around with ingredients, making new sauces, experimenting on an unsuspecting Zach. I loved it and that's why the subject of culinary school kept coming up. Zach was going away to law school the following September, the only problem was which Ivy League school. And I had at least another year before I'd finish my pysch degree. I'd finally declared my major, and after all the crap Bianca and Jake put me through, a career in psychology seemed like the appropriate career path. Meanwhile, Zach had other ideas. He'd mapped out culinary schools near every one of his potential law schools. But what did I want? I still didn't know. I wasn't a hundred percent sure I even wanted to leave Minnesota. And like Grandpa always reminded me: did I want to toil in a hot kitchen every night of my life? But was psychology the right path?

"When are we eating?" Brett asked, circling the island I was using to cut up tomatoes for the salad.

"About ten minutes. I'm waiting for the potato gratin."

"Can you make pizzas tomorrow? I love your pizzas."

"Sure."

He beamed. "You're awesome!"

Zach wandered in, came up behind me around put his arms around my waist. He smelled fresh from his shower, the pine scent of his soap. "Smells good. So does the food."

I smiled as he snuggled his scruffy cheek against my neck. The touch tickled. "You're always on, aren't you," I said quiet enough that no one else would hear.

"Turned on? Yes."

"Maybe you should have taken a cold shower. In the meantime, why don't you gather your friends and set the table."

"Sure, but that's not nearly as fun."

The meal was a success. Even the weight conscious girls gobbled up the food. As Brett scooped the last of the potatoes on his plate, I had the sudden fear that I hadn't made enough food, but as we cleaned up and people milled around looking for a place to beach themselves, I knew I'd got it right.

"Who would like to join me on the deck for a relaxing smoke of the medicinal kind?" Brett asked.

This roused everyone from their attempted slumbers. All but Zach went outside. He stayed behind as I put the last of the dishes away.

"I can't believe I've never asked you this, but have you ever smoked a joint?"

"No, and tonight isn't going to be my first."

"It's relaxing."

"I'm not morally opposed to it. I just don't want to do it for the first time around a bunch of people I barely know. I don't want to be a source of their amusement."

"Fair enough. Do you care if I have a smoke?"

"No. And do you mind making up an excuse for me? I don't want them to think I'm anti-social."

He smiled and winked. "Not a problem."

I didn't mind a few hours to myself. Often around Zach's friends I felt like I had to perform like a circus performer. Did I do the right trick? Did I say the right thing? Do they think I'm quiet, shy or weird? A few hours to myself with a good book appealed to me.

I must have fallen asleep because Zach woke me up, his arms up my shirt and massaging my breasts. He reeked of marijuana as he kissed me on the lips. It took me a second to get my bearings and when I did I pushed him away.

"You really smell."

"Yeah," he murmured as he made an attempt to pull at the button on my capris. He was so out of it.

I slid out of bed and out of his reach. He looked at me, bleary-eyed. I'd never seen him wasted before and it wasn't a pretty sight. I knew that in a few minutes he'd pass out, so I'd have to endure his touchy-feelyness for a bit.

"I'm going to change and brush my teeth. I'll be right back."

I stalled and when I returned he was sprawled out on the bed, still fully dressed, his eyes open to a slit. He'd be out in seconds.

"Still horny?"

He mumbled something unintelligible.

"Zach, what's on the video you have of Bianca?"

A full five seconds passed until he answered. More mumbling, so I asked again.

"She's a whore," he said, turning over and falling asleep.

Not a lot of information, but enough to give me a good idea. And if Zach was the one taking the video, I couldn't help but feel the ick factor setting in. But that was the old Zach and that's what I kept telling myself.