CHAPTER SEVENTY-SIX

Already in a state of shock from believing Cedric had been dead, Marnie couldn't bring herself to say or do anything more as chaos formed around her. Members of the Ministry that had been present, along with Fudge and Dumbledore called for Cedric to be taken to the Hospital Wing immediately. Judging by the expressions that many of them exchanged as Cedric was lifted off the ground, no one knew what to say or think. Amos and Anne were absolutely beside themselves, their faces pale with a mixture of relief but fear that Cedric was still horribly hurt. They were quickly helped to their feet by workers and told to head to the Hospital Wing themselves, leaving Marnie alone on the ground for a minute or so.

What had Harry witnessed that caused him to believe that Cedric was dead? And speaking of Harry, where had he gone? At one point, he had been by Cedric's side and when Marnie finally came to her senses enough to look around, she didn't spot him anywhere on the scene. However, there was a hand offering to help her up, and the hand belonged to Lee.

Besides him, Fred and George appeared worried as well, similar to everyone else around them, they had no idea what was going on.

"He was dead," she whispered to Lee as he pulled her up, "he was dead, I felt it. He was so cold."

"He's alright, Marnie," Lee said with a slight frown, trying to keep his tone steady and reassuring for her sake, "he'll be fine. Madam Pomfrey will take care of him."

"His feet, did you see his feet?" Marnie continued leaning into him to keep herself standing. "The socks...Ellie's socks they were...Ellie's socks..."

It seemed she could only repeat "Ellie's socks" over and over to process something in her mind, but it only reminded Fred that Eleanor was nowhere to be seen. Surely, Eleanor would have been right at Cedric's side like Marnie had been if she believed one of her dearest friends was severely injured or hurt. A painful knot twisted in Fred's stomach as he took another look around the stands, where students were all holding onto one another in attempts of comforting each other, while the professors were prefects to get students back to their respective common rooms as soon as possible.

With Marnie in no condition to assist him, Fred started looking around to see if he could find Professor Moody, after all, he had been the last person known to see her. But amongst the professors, he was nowhere to be seen either. Noting Professor Dumbledore in the distance, walking up to the castle with Fudge at his side, Fred left George's side to run after them. He called after the headmaster until the group of adults stopped and faced him with bewildered looks.

"Professor Dumbledore," Fred breathed, "something is wrong. Ellie's been missing before the final task started. No one has been able to find her. Professor Moody was the last one with her, but I can't find him to ask...she wouldn't have missed this task. She wouldn't have, I know it! And if Cedric were hurt, she would have been right there beside him just like Marnie was."