#41 - Ryland Lynch

I held my notebooks close to my chest, regulating my breath to avoid another panic attack. I looked at them.

They all wore leather of some sort - jackets, boots, gloves & at least half of them had a cigarette between their lips, taking smooth drags as they conversed. Some had piercings, all of them had tattoos.

They were the kids your mother warned you about. The bad kids; who had somehow got past high school and to college, where they had become the social status quo.

Amongst them was a new guy; this one displayed less tattoos but had a shiny lip ring on and a girl latched to his side. He had a softer, more friendly  aura compared to the others.

He wasn't tainted yet.

Across the car park was me. Boring me. Ripped jeans, band tees, plaid shirts and glasses me. Book nerd me.

Virtually silent me.

I wanted to be like them - not give two shits about anybody or their opinion, ride motorbikes with older dudes, be perceived as desirable for once & live a life of more 'oh well's than 'what if's.

That life was a car park and a mile of confidence away from me.

It rained slightly, so I stood under the shelter of the university doors, waiting for my Dad to pick me up. He was over 30 minutes late.

What if he forgot about me?

I shifted in my converse.

I'll have to walk home alone; for nearly two hours.

It's getting dark; I might get jumped.

What if I'm kidnapped?

Could he really forget about me?

The thoughts inside my head created a tight band of worry around my chest, that was only tightening itself. I barely managed to breathe.

What if he got in an accident?

My books fell from my hands with a clatter, and I had enough time to watch them run in my direction before I hit the ground and blacked out.

+++

Somebody's hands held my legs upwards, and my head was bent and turned at a funny angle.

"Ryland, she's waking up."

I sat up vigorously, and the seven people circling me shouted anything but coherent words, prompting me to stay down.

"You fell pretty badly." I turned at the sound of the voice of the boy with the soft aura. His eyes were a lovely brown colour, soothing even. "Are you alright? Is this common?"

"It was some sort of panic attack, but I'm fine, seriously." I spoke just above a whisper.

"Huh?" One of the girls asked, leaning closer.

"She said it was a panic attack, nothing much." The boy repeated. "You're very quiet; and your dad went to get a-"

"Scarlett?" I turned a bit fast to the opposite side and suddenly felt a sense of head rush, causing me to fall back ever so slightly. And they collectively shouted one non-coherent sound again, reaching for me as my father arrived. They made way, and he kneeled beside me, literally shoving my head into his chest. "I'm so sorry, baby. There was intense traffic today, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, Dad. These guys helped me."

"Thank you." He smiled kindly.

"No biggie." The boy from earlier looked to me and stretched out his hand. "I'm Ryland, and I think you're Scarlett."

"Yeah. Thank you guys again, and sorry for the hassle."

A different boy spoke, his looks very similar to Ryland's, only that his hair was long and blonde & he was slightly taller. "No worries. Tell us tomorrow if you're okay, yeah."

"Yeah, oh my god. Hit us up." The girl beside me grinned, and her friend nodded as my Dad helped me up. I nodded, blushing at the attention.

It felt weird; have I just made friends?

More importantly, have I developed a crush?