Chapter 4: Beautiful Now

Chapter 4
Richard Neil Sky
Beautiful Now

For the past few days, I had been trying to avoid Cade at any cost. Whenever I would see his face from afar, or even his shadow, I would run away like a mad dog and my friends would look at me like I had lost my mind. There was no explanations. My friends tried to grill me about it, but I hadn't given them the answer.

Today, we were at the cafeteria, laughing along as George told us a story about how Jordan Cespar, his classmate in Lit Class, got scolded in the entire classroom because he wrote 'chicken-sucker' on a piece of paper and put it at the back of Hart Perseus, an openly gay. It was supposed to be a joke, but Mr. Porter saw it and scolded Jordan for being an asshole and he was sent to the Principal's Office. I asked George why he did not stop Jordan from making fun of Hart but he just shrugged, saying that he would like Jordan to taste his own medicine.

"Oh touch-a touch-a touch-a touch me," Thalia sang teasingly at Maggy, who was glaring at Thalia furiously, with a blush tainting her pale face. "I wanna be dirtyyyyy." The group laughed.

Shockingly, Maggy had slept with Bobby, considering she was lesbian and all. She admitted it to all of us. All of us didn't believe her, but we knew when Maggy was telling the truth or not. When she told us, she had this guilt stricken face and was basically hyperventilating. Now, Bobby kept bugging her because of a one night stand happened between them. According to Maggy, Bobby had grown attached to her and was very persistent. Bobby kept saying things that he would make her happy and that he would make her forget about her ex-girlfriend. Maggy was blushing as hell when she told us this story. Carlo teased Maggy the whole day, asking ridiculous questions like how did she turn tomboy or something. Maggy was being teased by all of us and she was always blushing whenever someone tried to bring up Bobby's name.

Maggy muttered something her breath until Bobby went behind her back and hugged her, giving her a sloppy kiss on the cheek. Maggy pushed her with a frown on her face and glared at him for doing such an act that she didn't like but Bobby was being an asshole. As usual, nobody in our group tried to stop Bobby from harrassing Maggy because, honestly, we were enjoying the show. I was starting to think that Bobby didn't like Maggy anymore; no, he was head over heels with Maggy and Maggy was trying her hardest to ignore Bobby.

"Cute," Thalia teased as she wiggled her eyebrows at Maggy. "You guys would make a cute couple. Who knew Bobby Anderson could turn a lesbian into a real, real girly girl?"

"Mabby for real!" Tesla shrieked and then we burst out laughing. Maggy huffed at us as she crossed her arms across her chest, looking away, but finding Bobby striding towards us. "Shit, this is about to get real."

"Since when did you turn gay again, Maggy?" Carlo asked, wiggling his brows at Maggy, who was busy ogling Bobby as he went his way to our table.

But little did I know, there was a person walking behind him, following Bobby. It was Cade Felix Thompson. Heat rushed to my neck and cheeks again as my mind flashed the image of Cade stargazing in my eyes. This wasn't right at all. I was avoiding Cade just to save myself. To save myself a trouble. He was a trouble. And me getting in trouble was a no good for me. I would be graduating with an honor. My friends in the basketball team used to say I would be the one to enter in the most prestigious university as they didn't have plans at all. That, according to them. And being around Cade made me feel like my dream would fall and crash onto the ground without me noticing it.

Bobby stopped in front of us as well as Cade. Maggy looked at Bobby whereas Cade gave me an unknown look. His eyes were twinkling and his lips were quirking into a smile that I couldn't recognize at all. It was a positive smile. The smile that could light up everyone's world. But I refused to smile back. All the time, we were just looking at each other and nobody seemed to notice. The surroundings around me were fading, turning into a dark and the spotlight was on Cade only. His smile could earn the best smile in the world.

Cade walked a little closer, until he was standing really in front of me. He bent down a bit, smirked, and tweaked my nose with the tip of his index finger and the action made me blush. He pat my head and talked to Bobby for awhile. My eyes were trained on him, watching how his lips work as he talked with Bobby.

Carlo nudged me. I looked at him and found him arching a brow at me. I just gave him a shrug and continued watching Cade. He looked at me and winked and I felt myself blushing again. It was so awkward to have Cade around me. Cade pat Bobby's shoulder and was about to walk away pass me when he stopped midway. He leaned down a bit and whispered something in my ear that had me freezing at all.

"See you later, babe."

He gave me a smug smirk and I was just sitting, with a horrible look painted on my face. My friends were now looking at me with their brows furrowed. They didn't hear what Cade said to me. To them, it seemed like Cade was threatening me. But he wasn't. He called me... he called me... babe. It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside and I felt dizzy all of a sudden. I massaged my temple for awhile, trying to calm myself and trying to stop the headache that was about to get real. Carlo was the one who massaged my back and I gave him a thankful smile. Cade was stressing me out. My friends knew that. It was no surprise. But what's bugging me was, why Cade was making me feel this way? I couldn't describe it at all. The feeling was new to me, and I was afraid of trying to new things. I couldn't afford to take a risk. The fear of losing was too overwhelming and that's what I was trying to avoid; to lose and get hurt in the end.

Fisting my hands, I stood up and took a deep breath and mustered up a courage. Then I walked towards the way where Cade had disappeared. I was going to talk to him, to ask what he was up to. Because what he was doing to me, messing with me, was not acceptable anymore. I was the leader of the Peacekeepers club for Christ's sake and yet, I couldn't control him, tame him. That's frustrating. I started to run across the hallway, and that's where I found him, talking to one of the members of the soccer team. I made my way over to him and poked his back. Awkward.

Cade looked at me over his shoulder and when he saw me, his eyes lit up and a smile immediately formed onto his lips, that made me smile awkwardly. He talked to Glen, the soccer member, for awhile and then Glen left him, leaving me alone with Cade.

"What's up, buddy?" He asked cheerfully as he grinned down at me. Cade was taller than me by inches so I had to look up so I could see his face properly. I frowned at him.

"Don't call me buddy," I growled at him. He bent down again and smirked smugly at me.

"Why? Do you want me to call you... babe instead?" He whispered right in my ear and my heart beat faster. The thought of him calling me babe sounded appealing to me. I was trying to calm myself, not because I was getting angry, but because of the feeling that was bubbling within me. I thought back to the moments when he was bullying me always, to the moments when he was making fun of me. All of it came rushing back into me and I glared at him. I gripped the hem of his shirt and pulled his face near into mine.

"Listen here, you shit," I snarled menacingly at him. Cade was surprised to see me act this way. He was the one who made me bring out my worst. Cade was staring right back at me with a shocked face. And then everything, once again, faded. His eyes were mesmerizing and deep; it was alluring. My grip at the hem of his shirt strengthened, not because I was pissed at him anymore, but because I wanted him to just stay and let me watch his eyes closely. Instantly, Cade stepped forward a little and circled his arms around my waist and...

Cade kissed me on the lips.