Chapter Five: An Invite At Lunch

So what do you peeps think so far?

Happy reading! :)

______________________________

Ryan grinned and responded, "Hey man, I'm Ryan."

Alex looked very smug as he sat back properly in his seat. The teacher walked in and I snuck a glance at Alex. He was looking at me, smug and amused.

My cheeks were warm as I asked him harshly, "What?" One corner of his mouth lifted up and he turned his head away.

"Nothing, nothing at all."

RING. I entered the cafeteria just as the bell rang. I scanned for Kate and I saw her at a far table, deep in conversation with... it. I raced over and dumped my seat, pulling out my sandwich and chips. Alex and Kate both abruptly stopped talking.

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I interrupt something?" I put on fake surprise and plopped down. Kate blushed.

"We were just-er, well, like we were-" she stammered, only to be saved by Alex.

"We were trying to find future girlfriends for me." He grinned and stole one of Kate's French fries and I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, really? And who did you pick?" I raised an eyebrow.

"First on the list is Sarah DeLittle." Alex said.

"Eh. WAY too much makeup." I noted and bit into my sandwich.

"Jennifer Winston."

"Been with every guy."

"Violet Roberts."

Just her name brought chills running down my back. We used to be close friends, but then in high school, she, well, she changed to Queen Bee, as cliche as that sounds and she's bent on making my life a living hell. She had high, angular cheekbones, a perfect tan, light brown eyes, full lips and a perfect figure.

"Er.... Not your type." I hurriedly said, nibbling on my lunch.

"Oh? And why not? Do tell me what my type is." Alex leaned his chin on his hand.

"Hmmm. Well, since opposites attract, someone cute, has a sense of humor, thoughtful, NICE, smart and a personality." I smiled sweetly at him.

"Um, babe. You got a little lettuce right there." Alex commented, pointing to my teeth. I blushed a furious red and my hand sub-consciously flew to my teeth.

"Is it gone?" I turned to Kate, my cheeks still pink. She gave me a blank look then started cracking up laughing.

"T-there was nothing there in the first place, darling." She giggled. Alex doubled over clutching his stomach.

"Y-you should have seen your FACE!" He shrieked.

I scowled and bit into my sandwich. "Oh, sure, have fun. Just you wait and see." I muttered angrily.

When they had calmed down, Alex began talking.

"So who did you say was my type?"

"Hmph." I stuck my nose in the air and continued to eat.

"Oh, come on Cass!" Kate whined.

Alex slid over in front of me. He leaned forward and put his face right in front of mine.

"We're really sorry, Cass. Can you ever forgive us?" He asked in a deep voice, my heart stopping beating. I gulped.

"Eh..." I managed to squeak out.

"Please, Cassie-poo?" Kate pouted and pulled on my arm.

"Ugh. Fine. But only because I can't stand your whining." I nudged her off and glared at Alex, who seemed to be saying, we-both-know-its-my-hotness. I scrunched up my nose as Kate and Alex went on to talk about his day so far. Suddenly, I felt a presence behind me. I stopped eating and turned around to see Ben. He had dark hair in a buzz cut, brown eyes and a square-shaped face. He was wearing just a t-shirt and shorts with sneakers.

"Hey, Will." He grinned at me, crossing his arms. I stood up.

"What do YOU want?" I growled. People at my school were the most annoying creatures ever! Like, just let me eat my lunch in peace! 

"None of your business." He retorted, taking a step closer. OH NO HE DIDN'T! I opened my mouth to respond, but before I could, Alex interrupted me.

"You take that back right now." He was standing, leaning on the table, looking positively annoyed. His jaw was clenched and his eyebrows furrowed.

"Eh, I'll pass. Anyway, you must be the new kid." Ben shrugged and gave Alex a lopsided grin.

"Listen, Ben," Alex said his name with such disdain it was as if he knew Ben his whole life, "say you're sorry to Cass, or..." He trailed off. I was astounded, Alex was defending me?

"Or what kid? I was coming here to make you an offer but...." He put his hands in the air.

I fake smiled. "Ben, meet Alex. Alex meet Ben." I pointed to them each in turn. Ben smirked.

"Looks like Will has got an admirer." He whistled.

"Spell admire." I challenged.

He paused. "Spell no." I rolled my eyes and plopped down.

"What was the offer?" Kate questioned, growing tired of our conversation.

"Well, since the newbie here has become so popular with the ladies, I wanted to invite him to sit at our table. And don't worry, I forgive you for the little misunderstanding." Ben smirked.

I took this as my chance to get rid of Alex once and for all, even is it was with the populars. "Yes! Alex would love too! In fact, he should go right now!" I gushed and grabbed Alex's lunch tray and shoved it into his hands. I shooed him off but he just stood there.

"Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass, Ben." Alex nodded and sat down again. I groaned and exclaimed.

"You just made a friend! Now, shoo!"

Alex clutched his heart, pretending to be offended. "Well!"

"Listen, you're either with us, or you're against us. One last offer." Ben tapped his foot impatiently.

Alex looked at him, smiling.

"Not much to be up against." OH SNAP!

Ben glared. "You have nooo idea what you just started." He strutted off.

"Why didn't you go? I bet all the girls would go gaga for you!! And you would leave us!" I exclaimed, exasperated.

He shrugged. "He doesn't seem like a nice guy. He insulted you. I don't like him. And speaking of liking, Ryan is an interesting character, isn't he?" Alex met my eyes, smirking at his smooth subject change. I shot a look at Kate.

"I don't know what you mean." I sniffed.

"Oh, come on. 'Oh, Ryan! So, how was your summer? Oh, really, wow!'" Alex mocked me, batting his eyelashes and talking in a exaggeratedly high voice.

"I don't talk like that!" I defended myself.

"Come on admit it... you like him... you like him, you like him, you like him, you like him, you like him, you-"

"Yes, OKAY, fine! I like him..." I huffed. GOD HE WAS ANNOYING!!

"We'll see about that..." Alex told me with a evil grin.

"Don't you even think about doing something, Waters." I growled. The bell quickly rang, signaling 6th period.

______________________________

Hey, you just read this,

And I'm the author

Who wants some feedback,

So comment maybe?

XOXOXO.