Chapter 1

End of August. End of summer. End of vacations. Back to school.

You sighed. School was starting in a week, and you had low expectations for the school year.

Summer vacation had been filled with lazy days of watching shows and dreading school. But you had some good times, like when you hung out with friends and one ate an entire container of peanut butter within the span of one movie marathon. Yeah, summers, though dull sometimes, they always supplied the best memories.

You wandered your neighborhood, in search of an activty to engage in. Maybe one of your friends would be just as bored, or maybe you would just be wandering aimlessly, like a leaf caught in the breeze. You looked at the trees hanging over the sidewalk. Leaves of orange, red, yellow, and brown were beginning to peek through the green foliage. You didn't notice the smile creeping onto your face as you took at the scenery.

Before you realized it, you had made the way around your neighborhood, right back to your house. You sighed as you entered your house, back to boredom. You were greeted by your brother (sorry if you don't have one, but hey, now you do, but you can choose the name. If you're too unmotivated, use Arthur).

"Hey, (y/n)!," he said. "What do you think the copper lightsaber signifies?"

"I don't know," you said, tired of his Star Wars obsession.

"It signifies brute strength. Mostly Wookies use them," he beamed at his newfound knowledge.

You nodded and tried to smile. The first few times, it was interesting, but after a month of lightsaber this, Jedi that, it got old.

After spewing some names you would never remember and some information about the original plot and who's related to who that you had heard before, he made his way to your parents to give the same lecture. He was never nervous about school or friends or how he came off to people- which could be embarrassing sometimes. You plopped yourself on the sofa and wondered how your little brother could be more popular than you. You're more known as (b/n)'s older sister than he's known as (y/n)'s little brother.

After doing nothing on the couch for about five minutes, you got up and went to your room. There, you checked your {insert social media here} and replied to a couple things before becoming bored again. You paced back and forth, brainstorming, for a good fifteen minutes before the phone rang. You knew your parents were upstairs and wouldn't be able to get to the phone in time. You hurried to reach it before the other end hung up.

You picked up the phone and immediately said, "Hello?"

"Hello, (p/n) (parent's name)?" came from the other end.

"This their daughter, may I take a message?" you replied.

"Yes, this is Gregory's mother," the other said. You knew where this was going; you babysat for them often. You did it more as a favor than a job; your families had been close since Greg and (b/n) hit it off. She continued, "My husband and I planned an evening together tonight. We had planned to have Wirt watch his brother, but something came up. Would it be too short notice to have you watch Greg?"

"No, of course not," you replied. "What time would you like me to come?"

"Oh, thank you, (y/n). Can you come at seven? We won't be gone past ten," she assured you.

"Don't worry, take your time. Let me just check with my parents, and I will call you back," you said.

She agreed and hung up. You made your way to your parents and broached the subject. "Hey, do we have anything planned for tonight?"

"No, I don't think so, why?" Your dad inquired."Would it be okay if I babysat Greg tonight?" You asked.Your dad looked up from what he was reading. He studied your face before replying, "What time?""Seven, until around ten," you recalled."I don't see why not," he replied. "Do you want me to come pick you up after?""They're only a couple blocks away," you reminded him. "I can walk it. And if it seems unsafe, I'll call you. So, I'm going to call her back and say I can do it, okay?"He nodded, and you hurried back to the phone as to not keep her waiting. You dialed the familiar number and waited for the other end to pick up."Hello?" came the voice on the other end."Mrs. (Haha, I don't know their last name)?" you made sure."Yes?" she prompted."Okay, hello, this is (y/n)," you replied. "My dad said it would be okay if I babysat tonight.""Oh, excellent!" she exclaimed. "We'll see you at seven, then?""Yes," you said.You said your goodbyes and set down the receiver. (Yes, this was a landline. Deal with it.) You walked back to your room and looked at the clock. 4:30. You still had two and half hours. You began filling a bag with the games and such that Greg would want to play. Once your bag was sufficiently filled, you looked at the clock again. 5:00.You decided you would watch a movie until you had to go.